Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/...eFrameText.htm

htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I love you, Adire!

:D :emoji_thumbsup:

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I pre-ordered a couple. Just wish there were some plans available. If I have to design my own, things could get real ugly.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Graham,

Reference designs will be forth-coming. We're looking at tweeters to use, and will release the plans free. I don't know if we'll stock the entire kits, but at least the plans and sources will be available...

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Will these plans be for the 8 ohm drivers? Any MTMs, or designs that use 2 of them?

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Set,

For the 8 Ohm versions - that's all that's out there right now. Potentially MTMs, but most likely just MTs. A single Extremis 6 can really crank out the bass - as much as many 10" woofers! So we're working on some MT designs to start with.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

I must be high or something. I never saw the thread. It was really late last night. Got home from work hella tired. I check up Adire's site all the time since the Koda 8 and horn-loaded Tempest plans came out looking for the Extremis.

I saw it and wanted you guys to know about it. I was just a day late, huh?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dan,

I understand that these things take time, I'm just chopping at the bit. You guys turn out nothing but quality so I'm sure it will be worth wait. FWIW, I would like to see a MT, how about the Vifa XT25?

Seth_L

Screenwriter

Dan, Dan, Dan...

You know us people hiding in the DIY forum aren't normal. If 1 can deliver the bass of some 10" drivers, well...

1 is good, 2 is better :D

Maybe I'll have to order a baker's dozen :D

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Dan was referring to the VIFA XT25TG30-04, non shielded version, same thing. Either way, he feels that it is not up to the level he is looking to achieve with this design. The Hiquphon tweets look great, out of my league though.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
So, it's normal to build a speaker that has a $69 mid/woofer that has a $250 tweeter?

Edit: Whoops, that $250 is AUD, not USD. :frowning:

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The Hiquphon tweeters max out at $110 each. At least based on the Zalytron pricing. Keep in mind that Zalytron is a dealer for Hiquphon whereas Adire is the manufacturer for the Extremis driver. Were the Extremis driver being offered through someone like Madisound or PE I can imagine that the price would be about double what Adire is charging.

Seth_L

Screenwriter
That's what I get for not paying attention to the fact the price I was looking at was in AUD. :b

Don't judge the Extremis 6 by it's price. Sure we are offering it for a very low price, but the performance will be in a class way beyond what that price may imply.

Steven Kephart
Adire Audio

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator

Funny, that's what I was hoping for. Even with one woofer it would have over twice the displacement ability of the Audax kit fronts which of course have two woofers. That seems reasonable to me. Also consider it would have the displacement of two of the Scan-speak woofers that cost well in excess of $100 each.

However, I was thinking of tweeters in the $50 range too. Maybe a design could be thought of that utilized a tweeter that the future adire tweeter would be a drop-in replacement for (if it's a round dome tweeter you're thinking of) and later peeps could swap the crossover and tweeters. The XT was one, or it seems the DX25TG05-04 which is based on the same idea has similar characteristics with a less sexy look and attractive price. Or, a powerbuy should be easy if everyone bought for a 6 channel system, it would potentially be hundreds of units...

Is it just me or is the overall response a little ragged (esp from 1khz to 3khz) for a woofer put in a class above, well, basically every other 6" woofer in existence? It looks like +/-2db from 100hz to 1khz and +4/-2db from 100hz to 3khz. The 8545 is within +/-1db from 100 to 1khz with the exception of the area right at 1khz where you would eq that in the crossover (or course it requires eq from 1khz to 3khz). Or you could look at the Peerless HDS 164 which is +/-1.5 db from 100 to 3khz. What am I missing here?

Minor beefs aside this is a very exciting woofer! Getting away from the MTM thing could be good, smaller cabinets are good esp. when trying to execute a 6.1 or 7.1 system and not have the room look full of speakers. Also MTM does not lend itself to identical speakers across the front, which arguably is more important than having controlled vertical dispersion, ironically the center channels that aren't MTM don't achieve this anyway. This would allow every speaker to be the same, and for front projection could likely fit three under the screen and have them not too low, and the screen not too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks