Extremis 6.8 in a car?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jonathan T, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Jonathan T

Jonathan T Second Unit

Would the Extremis 6.8 survive in a car, would it be right for a car audio environment? I'm quite overwhelmed by the huge choices and loads of bull that exists in the car audio environment, I just want to purchase from a manufacturer that I trust. I would ask in the car audio forum, but I feel the DIY forum is a better choice due to the numerous knowledge people that frequent this place.

Edit: now that I look at it, the Extremis needs far too large a box to be useful in a car, nevermind.

2. Mitch N

Mitch N Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps not, but the Adire Koda's will be perfect.

Additionally, the car door is actually a rather large enclosure if done right. It will never be 100% sealed. But you can cover up enough of the space with the right sound dampening material, perforated aluminum, and open cell foam. There is an excellent write up from Rick of RaamAudio and his Raamatt product if your interested in reading. I'll copy and paste it here.

3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Extremis would survive fine if you take the steps to install it correctly and make sure it doesnt get soaked in the door. As Mitch mentions, a door will provide enough airspace for the driver as well as a back deck if you were thinking of putting a set back there. Kicks may be a bit tight, however.

4. Mitch N

This taken from Rick of RAAMAudio I like Rick's prices as he's very reasonable compared to name brand items like Dynamat and Cascade Audio. As an alternative many have had great success with FatMat.

As for purchasing, get it on Ebay as it's a bit cheaper then his web price. he's the seller on ebay.

5. Rob Formica

Rob Formica Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone here use DIY drivers in their cars as component sets? Doesn't matter if they are Adire, SEAS, Vifa... just curious as I've tossed the idea around in my head.

There are brands like Dynaudio and Focal who offer kits at premium prices...
    Rob

6. Mitch N

I have and it's too hard to design a passive x-over for it. And the price for a good active x-over plus additional amplification was out of my budget. But it can be done just fine. Note though that mouting options for your tweeters will now have to be custom made.
    The auto versions usually have a good screen or grill over them to protect againt the elements, hands nad elbows that a typical car door or kickpanel may see.

7. Paul_Matt

Paul_Matt Auditioning

I currently have Vifa PL 7" mids and Vifa Neo tweets as my front components. I had a custom passive x-over designed by Madisound. All together it cost me close to $200, and I can't imagine a better set for the price.

Although, the price for the drivers has gone up since then, I would say that you can definitely come up with a great DIY component set for a reasonable price.

8. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

You can always go active. Thats what most car audio guys are doing when they use cars from Vifa, Dayton, ect.