What's new

Extremely Powerful Sub Design (1 Viewer)

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I was thinking about taking a DD Audio 9000 Series 15 and putting it in a nice big box with two Adire Audio PR 15's in with it. The DD Audio sub can handle 1200 watts RMS, 600 a voice coil. It's a car audio sub, though I have heard them and they have a rather nice tight bass to them. If you wanna go look at their specs and such the site is www.ddaudio.com ....

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
First, welcome to the Forum, Jordan!
I have heard them and they have a rather nice tight bass…
Did you hear it in a car, or in a home setting? One has little to do with the other.
You have to be careful using car subs in a home theater, Jordan. A car’s limited space gives a lot of cabin gain, which translates to “free” extension at the lowest frequencies. Makers of car subs often take advantage of cabin gain, enabling them to make subs with higher SPL level (typically a driver with excellent extension accomplishes it at the expense of SPL level). However, some people here use car subs and are happy with them.
My other concern is that using non-matching subs makes for equalization headaches, especially if they are not in the same place in the room. It’s doable, but certainly much more difficult to set up for maximum performance.
I also have to wonder why so many subs. How big is your listening area (including all rooms opening to it)? I’m in about 6200 cubic ft. total, and my two 12” Shivas get the job done very well, with excellent extension and SPL level.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I heard them in a home setting. Thats where I originally heard about them from.
My other concern is that using non-matching subs makes for equalization headaches, especially if they are not in the same place in the room. It’s doable, but certainly much more difficult to set up for maximum performance.
I didn't understand this. Non-matchign subs? Does the Passive radiator have to be used for only the Adire Audio subs? Is it that big of a deal? And the two passive radiators and sub are going to be all in one box. So they'll be in all the same place in the room.
And about the question to my room size, this was just an idea I had I know I could make. It really wasn't going to be used. My Room, where my system is going to go, is small, If I put that sub in my room I'd probably be deaf rather quickly. Though if I was going to use it, it'd be in the living room, which is 3456 cubic feet. Which I know is overkill, I was just coming up with a design that I could use.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Well, 15mm of Xmax should let it play loud. And with Vas = 82L (geez, did I read that right?) it could go in a small enclosure. But Fs is 35Hz. It won't play that deep, deep stuff they're putting on DVD's nowadays (often

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
It was just a design! Like how architects go through many models and they pick one. Hehehe, I don't wanna look dumb here.

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
How much does one of those run? They look expensive all chromed etc. I myself have several tempest subs, and think that they are more than enough. If you need better, the talk of the internet has been the blueprint drivers. Some obscene amount of xmax with these drivers. Search this site for threads on blueprint.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I certainly didn't mean to make you look or feel bad. Sorry if I did.
Just wanted to let you know that there are some very good drivers out there for very reasonable prices. Especially since you don't mind a big box, you could probably get more, deeper output for less money than the DD Audio route. The best of both worlds!

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
Naa, its alright. I will probably not go the DD Audio route, they are pretty expensive and such. I will probably go with the Adire audio or buy a sub, but making my own seems to be the better route since I can get deeper frequency response with one I build for the same amount of money I could buy a shitty already manufactured one.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jordan,
You could always try the Blueprint 1503. The 1503 has over 25mm Xmax for $219! I can't think of a better driver for the money, assuming you have the power to drive it!
Brian
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jack,
Isn't it just great when two people agree around here?! :) We know that doesn't happen all the time!
Kinda makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!
Brian

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'll aggree too. But if the topic is for an extremely powerful sub. And if he doesn't mind a large one, why stop at the 1503, head on to the 1803.
But if you can't swing the 800+ watt amp that those drivers deserve then consider a Tempest or a Maelstrom.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
"I had that once. Turned out to be some bad oysters."
Jack,
That's why I don't eat anything that's not cooked!
P.S. Whatever happened to the quote button? I always have to copy and paste what I want to quote and then add quotation marks. I must be missing something.

Jordan Tracey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your replies! Hehe....Makes ME feel all warm and fuzzy, and it's not bad oysters....Though I did have some suspicious chili at lunch....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks