extreme variations in recording levels by disc and manufacturer

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony.RIZ, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Anthony.RIZ

Anthony.RIZ Auditioning

Feb 5, 2004
    Good afternoon to the forum. This is my first thread so please forgive any redundancy. To be brief, I have noticed extreme variations in recording levels of dvds from manufacturer to manufacturer, (Disney and Dreamworks being some of the worst, you really have to crank a lot of their discs) and between formats, ie DTS and Dolby. I have even noticed extreme variations in the same formats primarily DTS manufactured by the same company. Yet when I've seen these same films in an exhibition house, the audio levels were perfect. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it an equipment problem? I'm using a Marantz SR9200 upgraded, Defintive Technology BP2006tls for the main left and right,CLR2300 for the center and two pairs of UIWBPA in ceiling speakers for the rears. I am using a Yamaha CDX1000 as the source. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Welcome to HTF, Anthony. I've moved your thread here in the Software area because the DVD Etc. section is for discussing the stories and reviews that appear in the magazine with the staff (who are members here). Here's where you want to post about this topic.
  3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Feb 12, 1998
    Yes, many people have noticed it, and it's not an equipment problem. It's simply a function of numerous variables at various points in the recording and playback chain. While there may be specific problems with particular titles, in general the best suggestion is to adjust your volume for each individual title as appropriate.

P.S. If you get "perfect" audio levels every time you go the the theater, you're one lucky man. [​IMG] In any case, comparisons between the accoustics and equipment in a commercial auditorium and those in a home theater (a/k/a "near field") environment don't add up to much.