What's new

"Extreme Radio" Fans: Need help identifying a song (Hoobastank?) (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
While fishing across the dial, I heard a song today that is a complete and utter rip-off of another song by a band I like. I wanted to find a copy of this tune to play for some pals, just to show how badly ripped off this song is.

I noted the main lyric which is:

"Can you show me what it's for?"

There is another refrain where he sings:

"Can you show me what it's for?

'Cause I've been crawling in the dark

looking for (the) answers."

Anyone have any idea what song this is? Heard it on the big commercial station- instead it was on the "extreme rock" station which plays slipnot and limp bizkit and whatnot.

-V

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
the bands called Hoobastank...crawling in the dark is the song. i think they even have name tags that say We copied Incubus :D

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
They play that damn song nonstop here in Phoenix. I wish it would go away. Of course, I also wish they'd take Incubus, 3 Doors Down, Creed, and Nickelback with them. Is that too much to ask for? Really? :)
~Crowe~

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Have you heard the new Incubus disc?...or any of the previous discs?. they arent the best band out there , but do not put them in the same class as Creed!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the song is by Hoobastank...and yes, they sound awfully like a very hard edged Incubus....and they should. The two bands are very tight...like best friends. Obviously grew up with the same influences, have known each other for years from what I've heard and are thinking of touring with each other. Perhaps this can explain some of the similarity.

By the way, just because something is popular doesn't mean it's crap. I tend to like Incubus quite a bit. They put on a great live show and the drummer is incredible. Plus I dig the way he puts his drum kit and riser sideways to the crowd so you can see the footwork. I know of no other band that I have seen in my thirty years on this planet who does this in a live setting.

My .02.

Bill Harris

Stunt Coordinator
i actually think the latest Incubus disc shows major improvement over the previous discs. Plus , as mentioned before..they are awesome live.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
That particular song is actually an almost direct lift of refused "new noise". Going to edit together a comparison- will post it if anyone is interested.

-Vince

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Plus I dig the way he puts his drum kit and riser sideways to the crowd so you can see the footwork. I know of no other band that I have seen in my thirty years on this planet who does this in a live setting.
Moving off topic here...

Robert Sweet of Stryper did this. He called himself the "Visual Timekeeper" since his left foot never stopped moving. For the cheese metal they played, Robert Sweet was pretty good.

(JB hangs his head in shame having admitted he paid to see Stryper).

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I'm sure you have heard that song by Linkin Park w/ the Executioners, "It's going down".

I've played it a few times too many now and am tired of it, but it rocks pretty well.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Interesting John...in all the videos Robert Sweet (probably for obvious reasons) had the kit facing forward. Or at least that's what I remember from my cheese metal days and the videos for Honestly and To Hell With The Devil.
Just trying to get your back on the Stryper reference.:D

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
To be honest, I don't own disks from any of the artists I mentioned. The only reason I lumped them all together is that their 'ok' songs get near incessant airplay here. I'm sure rock stations are the same everywhere, though. I actually like the new Creed song 'Bullet' but I may retract that in a few weeks after my 100th listen. :)
~Crowe~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks