EXTREME: III Sides to Every Story -- Among the greatest albums ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Perry, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Every time I listen to TSTES I am further awed by this album. I originally heard the song Am I Ever Gonna Change? on a hard rock radio station (103.5 -- The Blaze, RIP), and I didn't even know who Nuno Bettencourt was. I bought the CD to see if there were any other good songs, and was blown away by the musicianship, the symphonic orchestration, and the power of Gary Cherone's voice. It has become of my desert island discs.
    Unfortunately, I don't think Extreme has put out anything remotely close to TSTES in terms of quality. But at least everything came together at the right time for this one masterpiece. (And it's an excellent sounding disc to boot!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Among the greatest albums ever?

NO

among the 5 greatest Extreme records ever?

SURE

3. Frank_W

Frank_W Stunt Coordinator

Not one of my all-time favorites from this band.

Then again, neither are any of there albums. I like

bits and pieces of each one. However, Nuno is a guitarist

I do enjoy listening to in the hard rock/metal scene.

4. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

Brian,

I'm with you, man. I just listened to this again for the first time in about a year and I was amazed anew at the depth of this album. Way more my favorite than any of their others. The third side always amazes me, though I wish the ending went on for another repeat, with harmonies.

5. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

This album does't make my desert island disc list but I do have to say it is a great album. When I first bought it I did not listen to it much but then it really grew on me once I had a good chance to listen to it.

Now talk about a Saigon Kick album and now we are talking about my desert island list!!

Jeff_P

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Yes, this is one of the great rock albums. I think that the follow-up "Waiting For the Punchline" is just as good.

If you like this album seek Nuno's first solo effort "Schizophonic", it is awesome. The Mourning Widows CDs are good, but "Schiz" is a masterpiece.

Jeff,

Do you prefer "Devil In The Details" or "Water"? Which is my favorite changes from day to day. Did you ever get "Bastards"? It's pretty good, but no DITD or Water. How do you like the SuperTransAtlantic album?

7. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Phil,

I prefer Water. Although DITD is great Water just has alot more to offer. I did get Bastards and enjoyed it alot. Nearer is my favorite song on that album and Jehovah is a close second. And yes of course I did pick up SuperTransAtlantic. I think this album was great. I loved how unpolished it sounded. It took me a little to really enjoy because I was used to the demos. Anything Jason puts out I love.

Since this started as a Extreme thread has anyone heard Tribe Of Judah. I heard 3 samples and it sounded good.

Also, I picked up Stonehouse which is a collaboration between George Lynch(Dokken) and Matt Kramer(original SK vocalist). I was not impressed at all. Has anyone else heard this?

Jeff_P

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I was dissapointed that Bastards didn't have "The One" or "So Damn Right" (both demos once featured on bvbmusic) which is one of my favorite SK songs.

The intro on Devil in the Details is one disc that I use to audition speakers. It is so well recorded and when the drums come in on "Russian Girl" it's a great test at high volume.

9. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Philip,

I always enjoyed the intro to DITD also. I will have to blast that again the next chance I get.

Jeff_P

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Yeah, it's a good album but among the greatest? You need to listen to more albums [​IMG]