extras vs A/V quality???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James L White, Jan 2, 2003.

1. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

so would you rather have decent a/v and extras or a barebones DVD with very good or even great a/v

give me a/v

2. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

Since the absolute MAIN reason I buy DVD's is for the film itself I would not hesitate to say A/V quality is ranked WAY above extras!

3. ChrisLee

ChrisLee Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm...well I look at it like this. DVD is not the end all media format. It can't reach the quality of High Definition. So with that I'd say I value extras more simply because I know sacrificing them would yield a negligible improvement. Thats not to say that I appreciate fluff extras (like trailers or sing-alongs or interactive games) over a/v quality cuz I don't. I just want quality extras because thats really where I see the value in DVD purchasing. Also my equipment sucks so...

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I'm an extras junkie and proud of it. [​IMG]
    DJ

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

If it were shown to definitely improve picture/audio quality, I would most definitely forego the extras. But I have seen discs with no extras have crappy A/V, and extras-packed ones with excellent transfers. I am not an extras fan, but do occasionally look at them if I found a particular movie interesting.
    I think that a lot higher quality can be had with more careful attention to the whole transfer process. Some discs blow me away, while others are lackluster, and it does not consistently follow any extras/no extras pattern. I think we'll see ever improving quality as transfer techniques are mastered. Just listen to any CD from the 80's. They're pretty much uniformly awful sounding, but newly released ones are much better overall. Still not vinyl, but that's another discussion...

6. Zane Charron

Zane Charron Second Unit

A/V quality, hands down. I find so much crap in the extras these days. There are some great extras out there, but they are few and far between.

7. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

AV, no question.

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I'll gladly take a reference quality a/v transfer not even with a trailer over a disc with lots of extras, but a lousy a/v quality.
    Good example: Being There. Just a trailer and some text stuff, but the video and audio are excellent! Then look at The Quiet Man: Super Duper Collector's Edition... awful video quality, but hey, it has lots of extras! [​IMG]

9. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I will opt for extras, though there is a minimum level of quality on the a/v that's acceptable too. The Quiet Man CE is a good example of this. But most Superbit titles look good enough for me in their vanilla versions with extras that I'm happy with them.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Give me the a/v quality over extras if I have to pick one.

11. Philip Klein

Philip Klein Stunt Coordinator

My wallet would choose a/v, since I would not have nearly the number of disc that I have now.

I buy many a movie for the extras, that I would not buy just because they looked really good.