What's new

extras on a blu-ray version compared to a SE sd dvd?.. (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering when a movie comes out on a regular 1-disc version, 2-disc se and then Blu-Ray. What extras does the Blu-Ray usually have? For example Flyboys came out on regular dvd in 2 versions...regular and 2-disc SE. Does the Blu-Ray have the extras of the SE 2-disc version?

I know its different with each release. But, is their a norm of what extras are usually on Blu-Ray releases?

Thanks!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Depends on the studio. Warner always includes the same bonus material. Sony is a mixed bag depending on the release. MGM has had nothing but barebones BD releases, even when 2-disc SEs are available on DVD.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately many BDs are lacking,
the ROCKY BD is completely bare bones when a 2 disc SE dvd was released at the same time.

:frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here I go again.

Fox/MGM charges more than any other studio for their catalog titles on BRD, however, the bonus material for the following discs is lacking to say the least. There are other titles with little or no bonus material, but with a $39.95 MSRP, I expect more bang for my bucks. Of course, Fox/MGM's great audio and video presentations notwithstanding.
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Hart's War
  • Men of Honor
  • Rocky
  • Courage Under Fire
  • Alien vs. Predator
  • Rising Sun
  • The Transporter
  • Transporter 2
  • Fantastic Four

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'm certainly going to severely restrict my future Fox/MGM Blu-ray purchases until their prices drop.

A Bare-bones disc at $40 MSRP isn't going to cut it with me unless it's an all time favorite of mine. In fact I can think of several titles they offer right now that I'd pick up if the price was more reasonable.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
We shouldn't be too surprised. They were the kings of double dipping on DVD. I don't condone this practice but never would buy a first run Fox title towards the end. I was ok when Peter Staddon spent his time here but I knew I could trust him but it appears he moved on from posting here and such, Fox quality seems to have taken a dip. Coincidence? I'm not sure.

Needless to say I want the bonus material available on the BR version if it was available on the regular dvd. I'm not paying $40 for better picture and sound and bare bones.

Rolando

Screenwriter
what irks me is that we are paying (relatively) big bucks for tomorrow's wal-mart bin cheapies. That's right.

Think back to 1997-1998. we were paying $25 to $45 for Terminator 2, Lethal Weapon, Under Siege, Batman etc. No features, basic package. Today those initial releases would not even get $5 at Wal-Mart, brand new.

That is what many of these releases are and I'll be darned if I will overpay for these.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying not to buy based on the fact that the price will go down. That would be silly, it always does. I am saying keep in mind the cost/value ratio. These will not only be old soon, they will have little value even to you. As someone mentioned if it is your all-time favorite then great. I am happy to pay even $50 for something I really want to have with the best pic and sound possible even with 0 extras. But not for the 2-3 DVDs and now HD/BD discs a week I want to buy.

I paid like $35 for my Halloween 2 disc set from Anchorbay and even if it sold now in stores for $5, I would still love that set and not regret the $35 spent. I paid over $200 (I think) to get the nightmare on Elm Street Boxset online from the US on release day. If I see it at a discount store for $25 tomorrow I still won't regret the purchase. In the last 7-8 years I have enjoyed the movies, the commentaries and the games so much. All worth it.

As much as I want Predator, Edward Scissorhands and others I will not pay $35-$45 for them now after all I've seen with DVD. These will be the barebone releases in the Cheapie bins 2-3 years from now selling for $10-$15 MAX and that is IF BD is still around. (and I think it will).
Give me Predator with Arnie commentary, minumum 45 minutes documentary (real one not EPK) and some deleted scenes (heck throw in some alternate version) some make up segments, test footage, you know what I mean. Do that and I'll pay $50 and not feel bad. All this is with a brand new HD transfer and DTS-MA assumed of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks