What's new

Extras announced for Doctor Who Series 2 (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I saw this over on the BBC's page - and since the two regions now sync up, I thought some of us yanks would like to get a peep at what's in store for the eventual R1 release:

2Entertain have announced full details of the upcoming Doctor Who: The Complete Series Two DVD Box Set. The six-disc release will feature all 13 episodes from Series Two, the 2005 Christmas Special and over four hours of extras, including:

* Out-takes
* Deleted scenes (Presumably since they forgot to include S1's deleted scenes with the S1 box, we'll get them here along with S2's deleted stuff)
* Audio Commentary available on nine episodes, with In Vision commentary available on five episodes - featuring cast and crew including David Tennant and Billie Piper
* 13 Doctor Who Confidential Episodes (edited versions)
* 5.1 sound
* David's Video Diaries
* Billie's Video Diary
* Children in Need special (HUZZAH!)
* Audio description and subtitles available on each episode

The set, released on 20 November 2006, comes in lenticular packaging that features a special moving image on both front and back.

Sendit shows a retail price of £69.99 (or about 100 bucks US) which is what Series 1 went for, so I expect that we'll see a similar price point here too.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

That was the main thing I was hoping for, as I have that on off-air VHS and think it would be a shame to leave it off of the "complete" series set.

As for series 1 deleted scenes, that hasn't been confirmed, has it? I would think they'd have to obtain clearances from Eccleston (if he appears in those scenes) and wouldn't that also mean they'd have to make some sort of residual payments to him for a release that he (otherwise) wouldn't get a dime off of, as he's in none of the other "new" footage?

I do hope the 5.1 mix is better executed this time around, though (i.e. the low-level dialogue problems not resurfacing again).

Also, one would think Attack of the Graske would've been easy enough to adapt for the DVD release? Surely, as it was interaction with a remote control, they could've re-mapped the keys to correspond to keys on a DVD player's remote? I know they couldn't have re-recorded the dialogue, but perhaps a small printed leaflet could indicate which keys on the DVD remote correspond to the keys on the interactive episode.

Now, the big question: with a series 2 television premiere this month, can we Yanks dare hope for the Region 1-NTSC release to arrive in time for Christmas? I know the main thing holding up series 1 was that it hadn't aired on TV yet, but that's not going to be a problem this time.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Sounds great. Finished watching series 2 last month and loved it even more than the first series.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

It hasnt been officialy confirmed, but RTD has mentioned many a time in Dr Who Monthly (and other sources) that they intended to put the cut scenes on the S1 box, but completly forgot until it was too late to include them and he really wanted to get the S1 footage in with the S2 set. As always, plans are subject to change - but it sounded like it was a reasonably solid thing as of last year.

***EDIT***
As far as the Tardisodes and Graske goes, Steve Mansfield - keeper of the Who Video FAQ - said A not-always-reliable grapevine told me that Graske and the TARDISodes would be absent from the DVD set a few months ago, due to the rights not having been sorted out ahead of time with the people who made them. I take these grapes with grains of salt (eewww), however the prediction of them not being there seems to be coming true.

Although it seems weird to me that in this modern day and age of TV shows and DVD synergy that someone would not cover the rights to these in the DVD rights bundle. Still, I'm happy for the CiN episode being included.

Also, no mention of the trailers - which also seems weird. So perhaps this isnt the full list of stuff yet. We'll see when the English Rating Board releases their list of submitted extras for the set, I guess.

***EDIT 2.0***
Oh, and if you want something to keep your Giant Cylon Head company at night, check this out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...524410?ie=UTF8

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks