Extra warranty on X-Box..yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Harrison, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I am first time poster but I have been lurking for awhile absorbing all of your knowledge. I just picked up an X-Box about 5 minutes ago (it pays to be persistent) at the Kay Bee Toys in my local mall. Kay Bee is offering a one year warranty for $29.95 which basically states that they will give you a new X-Box if yours craps out for any reason in that year. My question is, is it worth it to take their warranty or is Microsoft's warranty sufficient. I have 30 days to go pay for the warranty but the sooner the better I figure. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Chris Harrison

Chris Harrison Stunt Coordinator

anyone?

3. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Personally, I am not buying an extra warrenty. I am sure I will be pissed if it breaks - but generally I don't think it is worth it.

4. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

It all depends on how much you value piece of mind. I got a 2 year extended warranty for $50 because its a new unproven product. Normally 3 months should be sufficient time to find any bugs with your system, I just like having the piece of mind that if anything does go wrong in the next 2 years I won't be paying to have it fixed ( which normally costs close to as much as a replacement and takes weeks to get back). I have replaced my PS2 three times in the time that I have had it so far.
    Dean
    Edit: Welcome to the board! [​IMG]

5. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

If I was to get it, I would get the one that comes in the box for 2 years for $49, not a one year for $29.

6. paul_v

paul_v Second Unit

A Best Buy employee told me that about 25% of the X-Boxes they are selling are coming back with bad hard drives. I would get an extended warranty. I got one for my Gamecube..it was only 20 bucks and it covers the controller.

If the warranty covers the controller then it's worth it. If you play a lot chances are you will go through a controller every couple of years. THe warranty at Best Buy was only 19.99 for 2 years.

7. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I think it always a good to idea to get a warranty on a disc based system (no mattetr which one it is). I wish I had one on my PS1. Ouch, that $80.00 repair bill hurt!

-Andre F