What's new

Extra sub to bose acoustimass 6 series 2 (1 Viewer)

lukeharrington

Auditioning
Real Name
luke Harrington
Hey guys I have an older bose system that i was wanting to add another subwoofer to as I dont have the bass Im looking for. Is it possible to use the sub output on the rear of my receiver to the input on a new self powered sub while still retaining the bass output on the bose sub ( which drives the rest of the cube speakers) Thanks ! Also reccomendations on the possible new one?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
The answer is yes. If you give us your budget I am sure someone will give you recommendations in your price range. But I suspect that once you solve your bass problem other short comings of the Bose cubes will become apparent. The small size of the cubes means they have very small drivers that don't produce much mid range and upper bass sound.
You won't find many fans of the Bose cubes on most discussion forms.

lukeharrington

Auditioning
Real Name
luke Harrington
That's what I've gathered through what I've read on here, however, they were given to me so I can't really complain. I suppose my price range is around 200 bucks give or take. Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The best thing is to stop thinking of the Bose bass module as a subwoofer. It is miles from being a subwoofer. It barely even qualifies as a bass radiator at all. So, you can hook up a powered sub like normal, and I would set the crossover to the sub (the setting in the receiver) to around 150Hz, for starters. Preferably, you get a sub with an LFE input, which means there is no crossover in the sub.

lukeharrington

Auditioning
Real Name
luke Harrington
Thanks john. I agree I had a VERY cheap 5.1 system prior to the bose that I have now. The highs and asthetics of the current system are far superior to the old one but the bass is non existant really. I suppose the bass module is actually just a connection point for the rest of the speakers. Any advise on a good inexpensive sub, also do they connect with a standard single digital audio cable or something else, and it would connect to my receiver to the preamp sub output i assume? Thanks again

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Many would agree that SVS makes some of the best Sub's but they would cost much more than $200. I often hear Dayton recommended by many on this forum as less expensive subs. However, I don't have any personal experience with them so perhaps someone else can make a recommendation.

You are correct that Bose uses their bass module as a connection point. I believe Bose does this because most of their speaker systems uses some sort of external equalization for their speakers which is housed in the bass module. If you have the sub from your old 5.1 system you might try hooking it up to you receiver and see if it adds anything to the low end. This would give you an idea if spending more for a better stand alone sub would make for any improvement.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
The Yamaha YST-SW215 is a pretty darn good sub for under $200 - Amazon has 'em for $185 delivered. As long as you don't have a real large room it will fill it nicely with smooth, full low-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks