What's new

Extra speakers... (1 Viewer)

John Firstley

Auditioning
Hello. Sorry for the stupid question, but I'm new to
home theater. So, I want to add pair of speakers
to my current front speakers. What do I need for this?
An amplifier? And how am I supposed to connect the amp to my reciever? Thanks in advance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John,

It would be helpful if you told us what you’re trying to accomplish with this. For instance, from your post it sounds like you want to put a second set of speakers up front next to the original ones. Of course, I’m sure that’s not what you intend to do, but that’s what it sounds like. Help us out here and I’m sure someone will have some recommendations for you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Firstley

Auditioning
Well, yes that is just what I want to do. I have a pair
of sony shelf speakers and I'll be getting the x870
jamo's.So I want to keep my sony's near the sides of the
tv and place the jamos in the two corners of the room (so their side subwoofers face the wall.)With this I'm trying to achieve a broader sound stage. Wayne, you say that you
are sure thats not what I intend to do, Is that a bad idea?
Thanks for the help.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well it is unusual, but try it and see how you like it.

I think you’ll find that the Jamos sound much better than the Sonys and the latter will only serve to adversely affect the overall sound quality. You will have a problem if one pair naturally plays louder than the other, especially if the Sonys are the louder ones.

A “broader soundstage” can be accomplished merely by spreading the speakers further apart (within limits, of course), especially in your situation. Placing the L/R speakers right next to the TV is usually too close together to get a good soundstage. If you aren’t happy with the dual set up, just use the Jamos, even if you have to move them closer together from the corners.

As far as how to do hook them both up, it’s probably best to use an amplifier for the second pair. Not many receivers can handle two pairs of speakers per channel. If your receiver has RCA pre-outs for the L/R channels, all you need to do is send connect them to the second amp.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Firstley

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice Wayne, but unfortunately my reciver
doesn't have RCA pre outputs. That is why I am wondering how will I be able connect the reciever to the amp.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You might try Radio Shack for a speaker-to-line level converter, typically used for car stereo installations. That’s about your only option; no guarantees as to how well it will work.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks