Extra large vinyl albums? any clue?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Phil_DC, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

I was listening to Willie Nelson "Stardust" SACD and I had completely forgot I have a copy of it on vinyl somewhere. When I remembered where I had it I so remembered it was tucked away with some old Led Zeppelin bootleg vinyls and other misc records I collected over the years.Among these were few extra large vinyl albums, to big to play on a normal turntable.

In my youth one of the jobs I had was moving office furniture. One day we were moving some stuff out of an old office building and behind and old file cabinet were the huge vinyl records. I showed them to the owner and he said they must have been their before he ever got the building because the file cabinets were in the building we he took owner ship many years earlier.

Anyway he said I could have them, I figured I would come across a turntable that could play them one day but never did.These things are from the 30's, and according to the labels one is recordings of old radio shows and the others are music.

Does anyone have any idea what these huge records are and if there is anything in existence today that could play them?

Thanks

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Those are 16" radio transcription discs.Once upon a time prerecorded radio programs were available on those 16” discs. The Tiffany Company recorded some of my favorite Bob Will’s music during the late 40s on the West Coast.
    They were exclusively for radio station use and as such were only pressed in that form. They are known today as the Tiffany Transcriptions. You can buy them now in a 10 CD series.
    When I got into radio in 1969 the studios still had the 16" turntables, but they were already an anachronism. Programs were coming in on reel-to-reel tape.
    I loved the heft of those turntables though, there was all this green felt around a 12" record to grab and spin for cueing up discs.

3. Phil_DC

Thanks for the info Jim you solved the mystery of the massive discs. Now I am going to poke around EBay and see if I can find and old 16 turntable that could play them.
    Do you know what speed they play at? 33 or 78 perhaps?

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I don't recall the speed. On at least one occasion I was there when one of these discs was played. The widow of an early country music pioneer came into a Poughkeepsie station I worked at and she had a stack of her husbands transcriptions. We interviewed her and played some of the music.
    The idea of these things was to have a program of maybe 30 minutes to play (I'm guessing about the length) so, probably 33 rpm, if not 16rpm.

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Forgot to ask... what sort of info is on the labels? These could be lost treasures!

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

They could very well be lost treasures. I belive they play at 16rpm. I remember some really old turntables in the 60s and 70s had 16rpm settings and I always wondered what the hell it was for since I only ever heard of records at 45, 33.3, and 78.

7. Phil_DC

I found an old THORENS TD160C Transcription Turntable on Ebay but it only does 33.3 and 45 not 16 so that probably won't work. In fact I have never heard of 16 but I will keep looking, someone is bound to auction something that will play them.

As far as content;
    So far what I have recounted has been from memory, I will go over to my storage facility today and get them.

I will post exactly what is on the labels then.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Do you have a scanner? Scan the labels if you can.

9. Phil_DC

Well I spent a lot of the weekend at my storage facility trying to find those disks. It appears I am missing most of my old vinyl. When I moved two years ago I had movers a lot of stuff including boxes of my old vinyl collection in my storage. Apparently those boxes never made it in their and it really depresses me, aggravates me, and literally make me want to puke.

Not only were those old transcription disks in there but I had some old Beetles, CCR, Three Dog Night, my entire Led Zeppelin collection, including a single only released on 45 and a bootleg vinyl of their concert in LA in 76. That was my favorite because I had attended that concert. I had a ton other albums in there to. I had a lot of lps that were still sealed, I got them to complete collections but never listen to them.

Over thirty years in the making and all gone.

I will never move again with out doing a full inventory upon arrival not ever!

10. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

What is with mover's stealing old vinyl? I've heard this same story more than once about it disappearing during moving.

11. John Wes

John Wes Stunt Coordinator