Extra amp & what to do with it

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Pobuda, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Dave Pobuda

Dave Pobuda Stunt Coordinator

Dec 25, 1999
    I just upgraded to the Denon AVR-4802 and now I find myself with an Adcom GFA 545II amp and nothing to power it with. I was thinking of perhaps getting a passive Sub for the back chennels and pwer it with the Adcom. Cold this be done ? Any other thoughts on what to do with it ?

Thanks for the input.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Oct 1, 2000
    The crossover in any sub at speaker level inputs may not be ideal. Assuming the receiver has preamp outs, have you tried using the amp to drive the left and right channels? You may get better music performance and obviously the amps in the receiver will benefit too since they won't have to drive as much. You can also try just driving the surrounds with the amp if you feel like it does not sonically match enough on the front channels. The will also make the amp in the receiver not work as hard. If you have preamp outs you can also try using it in another zone or for pseudo 6.1. You can try various things and if you decide you don't need or want it, it always can be sold or traded. It is a nice amp.
  3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Jan 23, 1999
    Or you could take it to the next step. Assuming your speakers are biwirable and biampable (if they're one they're probably the other as well), you could get your hands on an active crossover and biamp your main L/R pair.

That's what I'd do.
  4. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

May 10, 2001
    Assuming you don't already have outboard amplifiers on the left and right speakers and you listen to music, try running it on those using the preamp outputs and bypassing the receiver's most marginal part. More may come from the center on movies, although you're distracted by the image and less likely to notice anomalies than when you have just music from two channels. Even if you don't do music on the same system, musical scores can be mixed-in as two-channels and you'll be more likely to notice anomalies on the music where you have a natural reference than you would on sound effects.

If those are but some other set of speakers aren't (center,

side surround, surround back), try those.

There's something to be said for side sub-woofers and some recordings or synthesized phase shifts between them for a sense of envelopment (Lexicon Bass Enhance), although multiple sub woofers lead to frequency response anomalies. Throwing a sub in the back won't get you the lateral differences, but will get the anomalies. Skip it.

You could also use the amp for a second zone..
  5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

May 23, 1999
    I concur with Philip Hamm, depending on the speakers and it's capability bi-amping would probably give you superior sound and cut the work in half in reference to the Denon. If your speakers are not bi-amp capable, then using the amp to power your fronts will also give you room to wontrol the front sound stage and save the receiver some work as well.