external usb 2 and firewire HD recs

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brice, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

I want to (need to) get an external Hard Drive that has both USB 2.0 and Firewire connections, at most $200... any suggestions? What does everyone have here. This will be used for storage of media for video projects and 3d renders and such (oh and some mp3's). I found that 120Gig one at Costco... does anyone have that one? It's only $200... seems reasonable to me... Brice

2. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

anyone? Does anyone here even run an external harddrive?

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I already had a 120GB drive available so I just bought an OWC FW/USB2 enclosure that I've been very happy with. I also picked up an enclosure for a 2.5" laptop HD and it's awesome. Very slim and bus powered so no need to worry about carrying around a separate power cord.

4. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Mine was so small :b I didn't want to mention it.

But it has done the job nicely so far, tho one thing bothered me : it was recommended on installation that a complete scan disk be run on it, which took 30 hours!

Whether because that was run on USB rather than on the apparently faster firewire connection I don't know.

Its an Acom 40 Gig size, and cost me $250 Cdn a few months ago.

5. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Brice: I just bought an enclosure for my old 40 gig hard drive and I'm quite happy with it. The nice thing is that the old drive can be switched out if I get a new one. I'd say its worth considering if you don't mind putting it together yourself (admittedly not too bad). I bought mine from CompGeeks (check under drive cases), but I'm sure that NewEgg has them too. Just be sure that you get a drive for 3.5" drives and not one for 3.5"/5.25" drives (unless you HAVE a 5.25" hard drive you'd like to convert). The size makes a big difference. [​IMG]

EDIT: You can get a combo USB 2/Firewire enclosure for about 50, and a 120 gig hard drive for about 110, so it seems like it's the better deal here.