external sound card on sale

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by hwshi, Jan 29, 2003.

1. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

well i've been trying to figure out how to get my sblive 5.1 to output optical digital. and unfortunatly there are no canadian dealers that i can find that sell the part i need. so perusing minidisc boards i came across someone posting this card (DP-U50 )which is available right now at a great sale price.i am wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular product? and also giving a heads up to canadians to a great deal if this is a good card. it's priced at $99 can. and on the yamaha u.s. site its at 240$?!
    the only problem i can see so far is that it doesn't mention xp support, i've fired off an email to them to see if indeed it isn't supported.

2. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

A great & cheap card with SPDIF in/out is the Zoltrix Nightingale Pro 6. I've had one for almost a year, and it's fantastic in Win2k. (I would assume this means it will work in XP, but YMMV.)
    It has 6ch. analogue output (through 1/8" minijacks), as well as a bracket with coaxial & optical ins & outs. It cost about CDN$110 shipped, from Inpax, Inc.. They appear to be the N. American distributor. I ordered over the phone & it came quickly.
    I think this is worth looking into, especially if the other card does not work in winXP.

Cheers & good luck w/ your search

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The Yammy board looks nice. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that it connects to your PC via USB. I would think that might present some limitations of some sort.

4. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

like what mike?
    honest question.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Well, it may be fine, and I may not understand the concept of this sound card. But running via USB instead of an internal connection just seems strange to me.

Do you have to have an internal card to run this product? I'll admit, I didn't spend a whole lot of time browsing the site, but I did check over the features and it doesn't make sense to me how you can set your system up to output the sound for the entire machine to run through the USB ports.

And just a bit of personal bias, I'm not too thrilled with USB connections as a whole. My experience has been that the system will sometimes lose connection with USB devices for no apparent reason (I've had this happen on several systems with different O/S). It's just annoying sometimes.

And to me it makes more sense to process sound directly off of the board than to pipe it outside the machine to an external processor.

Again, alot of this is just me, but I would spend the extra $50 or so to get an internal card that also has an external connection rack. Gives you the same thing without the USB link.

6. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'm personally suprised that we haven't seen a FireWire or USB 2 solution for sound cards. It would solve the whole bandwidth problem very nicely, and keep the door open for whatever new audio formats may arise. I think 50MB/sec is more than one would EVER need for high resolution audio.

Who knows... maybe there's an Extigy 2 in the works. [​IMG]