External EQ with HK AVR 635?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DanCopeland, Jul 20, 2005.

1. DanCopeland

DanCopeland Extra

I just brought home my new AVR 635 last night and haven't had much time to play with it yet. But when connecting my components I noticed there's no apparent tape monitor loop. I used this with my old receiver to put my external equalizer in, which meant I could use it with any audio source.

Is there any way I can use the EQ with multiple sources with the 635? I believe I should be able to do something ridiculously cumbersome with the zone 2 functionality but I'm hoping there's a better answer.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Doesn't that come with a built in EQ / Auto RTA?

3. DanCopeland

DanCopeland Extra

It does have a room EQ which I have high hopes for. I'm not entirely sure I'll want to keep using the external EQ. If I do it'll be only for, say, having different equalization for music vs. film.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Nope. The reason they did away with tape monitor loops is because they’re problematic with DVD players. It’s easy to forget their engaged, and when they are you get no audio from your DVD player if it’s using only a digital connection. If you have the analog L/R hooked up along with the digital, you do get sound, but only Dolby Pro-Logic. You might go for weeks or even months before you realize you’re not getting Dolby Digital.

Most people with these equalizers are primarily interested in EQing music. If that’s the case, you can connect it in-line between your player and receiver. Alternately, if you have pre-out/main-in jacks you could connect it there.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt