What's new

external deinterlacer (1 Viewer)

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
I recently found information about external deinterlacer devices (siliconimage ie.), the information I found says that they turn any video signal into a progressive one, the idea seems to be great, I´d like to know what would be better for my HDTV ready set (SONY), an external deinterlacer or a progressive scan dvd player
thanks a lot for your support

Jimmy vb

Stunt Coordinator
I have both on my Sony xbr 36 inch direct view tv and I think you definitely want the progressive scan dvd player first. It makes a noticeable difference. I just have a Sony 715p--nothing fancy--but I get great progressive scan picture out of it.

I also have the iscan plus v2 and the difference is much more subtle. Part of that is due to the fact that the Sony linedoubler with DRC is actually pretty good--for a line doubler. It takes my erratic cable signal and makes it watchable--if a bit soft. The external line doubler does a better job with tough pictures like a football field or a brick wall(no waving lines) but is even softer than the Sony set(DRC settings should be near zero on both axis.) I can't speak to other sets. I tried out a mistubishi 55inch that looked spectacular for dvds but the line doubler(AND the big size) made cable look like even more garbage.

I would go buy a progressive scan dvd player(you could get the 715p from Sony at Bestbuy for $150 last week--and there are better ones than that by far for more money)--then think about a line doubler--realizing that the difference may be very subtle if your built in line doubler is pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks