external DAC vs. new receiver DAC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Donovan, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Peter Donovan

Currently, I am using a MSB Link DAC with my current older Marantz receiver. I love this DAC, when compared to the Marantz's internal DAC there is no comparison.

Here is my question, if I upgrade to a new receiver (I'm looking at the Rotel or NAD receiver), are the internal DAC's on these new receivers improved enough, so, I could sell the MSB? And, if you're going to use these new processor's like Dolby Pro Logic II, do you need to send the receiver a digital feed (thus by passing any other DAC)?

Hope this makes sense! Bottom line I guess is if I buy the new NAD T-752, will my MSB Link become obsolete.

2. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Good question, let me bump this for you and add about how many years do you get out of your external dac before the rest of the receiver/preamp world catches up?

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Good question. I've owned the MSB and currently have the Rotel but I don't think it would be fair to compare the two since its been a while since the MSB was in my rack so since then I've gone though multiple gear swaps and moved into a new room[​IMG]
    As far as DD/DTS what I did was run two digital connections from my DVD player, one to the MSB for CD playback and the other went to the receiver for DD/DTS decoding. If you don't use the DVD player for CD playback then the only thing that needs to be plugged into the MSB would be the CD player.

4. Peter Donovan

Thanks for the replies. I'm currently using my DVD player the same way. I wondering about processing like Dolby Pro Logic II or Circle Surround. Does the receiver need to do the DAC? Or, will it process info coming in via analog input?

One last question! When using a Lexicon processor with its Logic 7, should that receive a digital in and let the Lexicon do its thing?

Thanks

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

it won't matter for PLII or CS since they can both be applied to an analog signal so you could add PLII or CS to a feed coming from the MSB...that said CS or PLII would likely mask any benefits you gained from the DAC in the MSB