External crossover for a sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

It might be the right forum, but I wasn't very sure about where to put this post. Anyway, here it goes...

I am looking for an external crossover for my sub(s). Is there any system (besides Outlaw's ICBM) that will let me tailor the phase, crossover points and slope for my subs? They are powered, but offer a limited ammount of options, and I was looking for something a bit more complex.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Thanks!

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Javier,
    The crossover points are easy, but there are very few that let you tailor slopes. I know Bryston makes one, if you have a couple grand.
    I know of none that have phase adjustments. Ashly pro crossovers offer a “response” feature that is continually variable between Linkwitz-Riley and Butterworth characteristics. In practice it affects the equalization around the crossover point. Rane offers a time-alignment feature, but it probably would not work for home subs.
    If you’re going with an outbard crossover, it’s tough to beat the performance and phase characteristics of 24dB/octave filters with Linkwitz-Riley characteristics. That’s where I’d put my money (actually I already have). [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Thanks! John, those are the units I once saw!

Isn't it great? Phase alignment... I think I really need it.

Wayne, thanks for the info on crossover slopes. I'd have thought a less steep slope would be adequate.

Thanks again!