External box available to add low voltage trigger for amps without?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JimmyK, Apr 19, 2003.

1. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    I'm using 3 external amps in my system. My Parasound amp has a connection for a low voltage trigger to power it on and off. My other 2 amps, Hafler DH200, do not have such a trigger.

Is there such a thing as a box I can plug the Hafler amps into so that I can use the low voltage trigger on my Anthem AVM20 pre/proc to turn all the amps on/off?

Thanks!
    JimmyK

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Jimmy,

One possibility is to find something like a power strip, line conditioner, or similar that can accept a 12V trigger. I believe Panamax makes these (or did). The idea is that the trigger would turn on the power strip, which in turn would supply power to whatever was plugged into it.

I have not tried this myself nor have I seen a system with such a setup. The one possible downfall is that the amps connected to this type of power strip would be completely powered off rather than be in a standby mode (if they have one). I leave it to you to decide if there is an issue with the amps warming up.

Michael

3. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks for the response!

Right now all 3 amps are plugged in to a power strip that I use to manually turn the amps on/off.

The Parasound has a standby mode, the Haflers do not. Of course when I turn the power strip off, the Parasound amp goes completely off.

JimmyK

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jimmy,

Since you mention Parasound, Ive seen recomendations for the Parasound SCAMP, a 4# power center with surge protection and basically a delayed timer function. Comesa with 2 outlets and can be daisy chained.

Dont see the price, but it's certainly solid seeming. Lotsa refs off parasound website and in Google.

5. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Here's the $17.99 solution...the Sear's Auto Switcher. 3 Outlets...the tool/component plugged into the top outlet will activate the bottom two "switched" outlets. Plug your parasound into the top...and have your prepro turn the Parasound ON & OFF, then the parasound will activate the switched outlets (for your other two amps).

All three of my parasound amps do not have triggers, so I only have to turn ONE of them on/off as the Auto Switcher takes care of the other two (which, of course, are always "flipped" ON).

You can also plug the Auto Switcher into the Surge Proctector. Also, I tried the Parasound Scamp 3 years ago, drove me nuts!

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00924031000

6. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out and see what will work for me.

JimmyK