External antenna grounding..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    My parents have been experiencing horizontal bars that seem to be scanning upwards regularly. They are using an old-fashioned rooftop antenna for OTA broadcasts and have a DishNetwork system setup too. Am I right to think that it could be a grounding problem causing the bars which look too "organized" to be interference. Should I check to see if the antenna is grounded properly or do you think this is some other problem. It seems to be on most channels although some are worse than others, sometimes it doesn't seem noticeable at all..
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

You are right. This sounds like a ground loop problem. Most commonly this is due to the cable connection, but one is not present in the system. The DSS system can also be a ground loop source as the dish cable should have been grounded with a grounding block at the house entrance. This might not be tied to the main house ground and thus create a ground loop. Try disconnecting the satellite coax line at the back of the DSS receiver while leaving the video output connection intact. You should still be able to view the Dish receiver menues and tell if the ground loop problem is eliminated. If so, have the Dish antenna ground bonded to the main grounding rod so both are at the same potential.
    Failing the above, the basic approach is to unhook one thing at a time to find which connection(s) create the ground loop and then figure out which component to correct. I'd also make sure that the TV and the rest of the components are on the same circuit or at least on the same phase of your electrical system.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, the thing is, it has existed before I even got the DBS system. I subscribed to DishNetwork in July but we've had the external entenna for years. The problem is really intermittent and sometimes its bad and sometimes it's gone. Unfortunately, the antenna is not on a rotational motor so I can't (easily) turn the antenna to see if it's interference.
    I might break down and pay the local service fee for DishNetwork (at least then I'll be able to use the PTV for recording OTA programs but I've been trying to avoid that extra $5/month fee on top of the $55 programming fee and receiver fee for AT150.
    Could a plain jane external antenna cause a ground loop or am I really looking at simple interference?
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?