external amps: power on constant or switched?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted Lee, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey all -

when it comes to power settings for external amps, which is better?

1. leave it on all the time (constant on)
    2. have the power switched (12v trigger)

in my household, the receiver is switched on/off several times a day -- because of that i'm scared the 12v trigger would cause too many power cycles to the external amp. also, i've always believed it was better to leave electronics on instead of constantly turning it off/on.

anyway...your thoughts or opinions?

ted

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Realistically, they're designed to be left on as well as to handle the cycling of on/off over many years. I leave my amps off most of the time when not using them, like during the day when I'm not home.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx john. actually double-thanks ... that onkyo amp arrived in perfecto-mundo condition. [​IMG]

4. DavidNighorn

DavidNighorn Stunt Coordinator

I have four Rotel 2-channel amps that are always on. They get used every evening and I prefer their sound when they are warmed up. OTOH, they each take up the energy of a 100w bulb when they are not actively amplifying a signal. This is not a very environmentally responsible approach on my part.

Also, in the winter, the amps reduce my heating bill - even when they are just sitting there. Nothing says 'cozy winter evening' like a cup of hot chocolate, your favorite music, and four Rotels percolating along.....

David

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

My 7 channel amp and subwoofer amp I have on triggers. My pair of monoblocks I keep on all the time. The monoblocks run my music speakers in a different room that I use everyday morning and night. The HT is not used everyday, so I let those switch off.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Cool, that's good to hear [​IMG] My buddy lost the auction for the receiver that guy was also selling, so we are still on the hunt.

I don't run the main HT every day, which is why I don't leave the monoblocks on (they are on stand-by, controlled via RC-5 by my receiver). I listen on my little 2ch rig in my room every day.