External amp worth adding to a Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean_B, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Sean_B

Sean_B Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of buying a five channel amp from Rotel or Outlaw. I currently have a 100 x 5 Yamaha receiver and debating on whether their would be much improvement by adding external amplification. I have seen a couple used Rotel's (100x5) for around $400. I am an apartment dweller so its not for loudness. I want to know what improvements I would see in this upgrade. Thanks!

2. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

You will notice midrange improvements, especially on music, better blending with your sub on HT, and a lighter wallet! [​IMG] The amp should also increase your listening pleasure at low volume levels.
    Buying a used amp is great way to start on the road to seperates. You can use your reciever for awhile, then the bug will bite and you can also shop for a used pre-pro. Once you get that pre-pro, you will develop a liking for 2 channel music, and HT will now sound more enveloping, with improvements in all 5 speakers if they are the same or timber matched.
    I don't think that anyone that has went down the road you are about to travel has regretted the journey. If things don't turn out to your satisfaction, you can always sell what you've bought and return to your present day stuff. You may take a little loss on reselling it on Ebay, but maybe not as used good used equipment seems to hold it's value because of demand, and quality usually lasts.
    Have fun! [​IMG]

3. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    Sean,
    I have a Yamaha 5 channel receiver(RX-V795) and I have the Outlaw 750 hooked up to it and I am very satisfied with the quality of sound I am getting. Detail is better and the sound is very smooth. Music and HT sound great with an external amp and it is the best upgrade I have made other than getting Paradigm Ref speakers. For me it has definitely been worth it and you will realize a difference.
    ------------------

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Yes! You will here detail like you never heard before from movies. I also noticed that my rear speakers came alive.
    Kevin