What's new

External amp and "Cheap" receivers with pre-outs (1 Viewer)

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Guys,

Based on a lot of opinions I have read on this site, I have decided that instead of buying either the Rotel 972 5.1 redceiver or the forthcoming new Rotel 1055 6.1 receiver (w/ dolby PLII), I would like to stay in the same budget of those receivers (i.e.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i cant tell you anything else, as ive never used this or any competing product, but the outlaw 1050 has 6 channel preouts and is in the pricerange you are looking at.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I was thinking of doing the same thing with my Marantz SR6200. I'm on a budget, and the internal amps are fine for now, but in a couple of years I may get a Rotel 6 or 7 channel amp to use with it. Others on this board seem to like the Marantz/Rotel combo.

You can get the 6200 in the US for about $550, but since you don't care about amplification the 5200 can be had for about $450. Both feature 6.1 decoding and DPL-2 (though the 5200 is missing one surround mode, Circle Surround 5.1, which I like).

HK is another brand that gets good reviews for sound, though I haven't heard them.

jack x

Stunt Coordinator
DavePaulChris:

Thanks for your suggestions.

I haven't even considered H/K because I thought there were some reliability issues with their products due to excess heat and other quality issues. Maybe I should give h/k a look.

Assuming I went with a 5 channel amp (approx. 100 watts) from rotel, or Parasound, should I expect similar sound quality from an outlaw 1050 receiver compared to a marantz 5200/6200 or similar onkyo or denon?

However, the more I ponder, it would seem to be a waste of money to buy a “cheap” receiver to be used a a pre/pro and an external 5 channel amp because in a few years, I’ll probably want to ditch the receiver for a pre/pro.

Of course, if I wait a few months, I could have an Outlaw 950.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Of course, if I wait a few months, I could have an Outlaw 950.
Months?:D Maybe years:D OK, just say 'some time in the distant future'. :frowning:
All kidding aside...do see about giving H/K an audition. You might be pleasantly surprised.

mubashir

Agent
I would get a reciever with good bass managment and a lot of pre-outs.Currently I'm using a Sony STR-DB1070 as my pre/pro and using a cambridge audio power amp to drive my hungry fronts.The sony has one of the best bass mangments and 8 pre-outs which are gold plated.The sony costs about 600 bucks which is ideal for your bugget.

StevenK

Second Unit
I chose the H/K AVR520 to go with my 5-ch amp. It's very nice so far and the main amp inputs are a really nice feature. Between the H/K and my amp, I have 10 channels of USABLE power...and I'm using ALL of them (for bi-amping and a passive sub). That might be a feature that interests you.

BTW, the receiver can be had for aroun $620.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
As far as amps go, for the money, the Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp sounded good to my ears. 5 x 150 watts. maybe couple that with a pre-pro or sub $600 receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks