What's new

Exterminator Help Needed- Yellow Jackets ! (1 Viewer)

Alex S

Second Unit
I've found and killed about 7 or 8 yellow jackets in my house in the past week or so.

I think they have a nest in the house somewhere.

I bought a yellow jacket trap last year that I put outside that caught a lot of them. It came with a small vial that you pour onto a cotton ball and leave at the bottom of the trap. The yellow jackets get trapped inside and die.

I need to bait the trap again but what can I use that will attract them into the traps since I don't have any of the original bait left ?

Where is the most likely place for a nest ?

I'm going to buy some more traps tonight and set a few in the house and a few outside the house.

Any suuggestions would be welcomed !
Thanks.

:)

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If they're inside, I'd look for a nest near an attic vent somewhere. I've seen those traps at Home Depot kind of places but I'm not sure if the bait is refillable or if you have to just replace the whole thing when it's empty. Pesky critters.

Mort

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Visually examine your walls and ceilings carefully for any sign of their presence like discoloration or sagging. Get yourself a cheap plastic stethoscope (kid's store) and place it against the walls and ceilings at night and listen for activity. If you find it, mark it and look for more places. Then you can hire a professional to deal with the problem and you can cut out the sheetrock area and just repair it. I had that problem once and dealt with it myself. I took out a 'nest' that was approximately 18" wide (rafter spacing) and maybe 3 feet long. They'd assimilated the insulation and eaten into the sheetrock. I used a combination of wasp sprays and a central vac with a shop vac to suck 'em out and kill the bastards.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Nasty little suckers. I've had the pleasant experience of walking right through 3 nests (not at the same time) in my younger days of playing in the woods where I lived. You never know how fast you can run until you have several dozen of them stinging the hell out of you! :)

Good luck on getting rid of them.

Jeff

Alex S

Second Unit
UPDATE: I've been looking online and I think they are Paper Wasps not Yellow Jackets.

Which is good because Paper Wasps aren't aggressive and the nests are smaller and tend to be on roofs and in attics rather than inside walls or ceilings.

I have an exterminator coming today to check it out.

This is a Paper Wasp:

Alex S

Second Unit
Believe it or not Jason they aren't agressive at all.
I've killed about 10 of them so far. Each one didn't move at all. I wacked them with a rolled up newspaper. Not one of them tried to fly away or attack me.

Alex S

Second Unit
UPDATE:

Exterminator is at my house right now.
He said we have an extremely active Hornet's nest near the vent in the attic. The nest is in between the siding and the outside wall of the house. There is a wire going thru the siding that they went in thru.

He has a Bee Suit on now and is going on the roof to freeze the nest !

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Alex,
your exterminator is Frozone from The Incredibles!? :confused: ;)

I sympathize, we are constantly under siege by another flying pest at my job...Wasps! :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.