What's new

Extension cords and surge protectors (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning to move my HT down to the 11x17 rec room in my basement in anticipation of getting a projector. Unfortunately, there's only one power outlet, and it's not convenient to where I want to put my equipment. I recently bought the Belkin surge protector (50% off!) that was in the list of suggested models in this forum.

If I were to get a 15-20' extension cord and plug the surge protector into that, am I introducing any problems into my setup? It doesn't sound like I would be defeating the actual protection, as everything would still be plugged into the Belkin, but I just want to make sure.

RussKon

Stunt Coordinator
make sure your extension cord is rated for a full 15 amps...other than that you should have no problems

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you're not defeating it but you might consider adding a few more outlets down there and if it's your own home perhaps consider adding a whole house surge protector that'd be located at the AC mains.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

Where can I see this list? I just looked behind my equipment and saw a 6 outlet tap surge protector by Intermatic( cost ~$7.99)- this is probably degrading all of my equipment to some degree. I have read that poor surge protectors can have that effect...
Thanks.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the search function is down at the moment, I'll add an edit to this post when I get a chance. The model that I ended up going with was the Belkin F9G933-10, when Belkin was having a 1/2 off sale. It retails for $68 at the moment. Another suggestions (at the time) that was less than $100 was the Tripplite ISOBAR6-DBS. You might want to check shopper.com or pricegrabber.com to see prices on these.

Users who are viewing this thread