Extension Cord for Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Lyons, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Dave Lyons

I have a Cerwin-Vega 200 watt subwoofer that I would like to plug into my Panamax 5510 protector. Panamax indicates that I must use their extension cord in order to not invalidate my protected equipment warranty. My two questions are:

1. Should I be concerned about any difference in bass quality when using an extension cord with the subwoofer? Panamax's extension cord: http://www.panamax.com/products/Prod...?sName=GEC1410

2. My subwoofer only has a 2-prong plug and the extension cord has 3. Is this something to worry about? Would I want to use some kind of adapter, or just plug it in as is?

Thanks!
    Dave

2. dougW

That's surprising your sub has no ground pin on the power cord. Panamax extension cords are well made, heavy.

If a loss occured, I doubt seriously they would ever know one of their cords was not on it. Besides, does anyone ever really collect on these equipment guarantees? I bet it's pretty tough.

Lex

3. Dave Lyons

Good point ... so if I just picked up any old 2 prong extension cord at a local store, is there anything I want to look out for or do you think there won't be any difference in sub performance regardless of what extension cord is used?

4. Johnny Ayala

I use and extension cord also and there isn't any difference in the sound.

5. Rick_Brown

A 3-prong extension cord is no problem, in fact it is likely better made than a 2-prong cord.