What's new

Extending existing speaker wire lengths (1 Viewer)

carl_b_byrne

Agent
Hi all, just a quick (stupid?) question. When I purchased my house, the rec room was pre-wired for a small wall mountable speaker system. Initially, it worked well, but now, for various reasons, the wire is too short. Is there anyway to extend the wires without causing too much signal loss? The only way I know how is to splice an extra length onto the cables, but will this damage sound quality? My receiver is currently at a weird angle and pushed far back which makes the wife unhappy because it looks crappy. I cannot rewire the room, unfortunately. Any options? Thanks in advance.:D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Splice away, shouldn't cause any problem if you are only adding a few extra feet (not like 20' or something). Just make sure you make each connection solid and keep them well isolated from each other. Soldering would probably be the best, but a decent inline butt splice connector should do the trick. I'd avoid just twist and tape.

carl_b_byrne

Agent
John...thanks so much! Where would I get such an animal like a "butt splice connector?" At the local radioshack?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
yep, or any home improvement store. just make sure you get the right connector for your wire gauge. it will look something like this:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks