Extended warranty worthwhile on RP-91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianO, Aug 2, 2001.

1. BrianO

BrianO Auditioning

I am on the verge of purchasing the Panasonic RP-91 and am trying to decide whether or not to purchase an extended warranty. I will likely buy it from an on-line retailer such as ecost or etronics. They seem to range in cost from $60 to $180 for a 4 year warranty. Any thoughts on whether or not its worthwile?
    I wouldn't have considered it before, but I just go burned on a Pansonic DVD-A120 which died 13 months after purchase.... I would hate to pay $500 for the RP-91 and have it die on me after a year.....
    Thanks.

2. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

If you are going to buy the RP-91 from an online retailer, then I would not buy the warranty. The volatility of the e-tailers is so great that they might be out-of-business in the next year and your warranty would be void. If you do decide to purchase it, make sure the warranty is insured by an outside company just in case they do close their "doors."

3. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Doesn't Panasonic include an extended warranty offer with their products?
    I would never, ever buy a DVD player without an extended warranty. Try and price match at Sears or Tweeter or Circuit City and let them know you want an extended warranty. THAT is how they make their money.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I would agree, except for Panasonic DVD players, which are notorious for failing 13-18 months in. If I were going to buy one of those (why, I ask?) I would insist on the extended warranty because odds are good that it'll be scrap metal otherwise.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

6. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

7. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

An extended warranty for a DVD player should NOT cost $100. I paid $49 for a 3 year on my Toshiba.
    And I would not buy ANY expensive piece of equipment without a warranty. Any time I have NOT, I have been burned, big time. No thanks.
    Heck, if I didn't buy the extended on my Sony Wega, I would be stuck with a set that has huge problems after just one year. Instead, I am getting a full credit for replacement.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

8. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

An extended warranty is not really a warranty, but an insurance policy. You buy insurance policies for events that will cause you financial ruin if they happen.
    Here is a good article on extended warranties: http://w3.gwis.com/~mstack/insurance.html
    Further, if you are worried about it failing after 1+ yrs of use, how about 2+. If you really only care between 0-2 yrs (because if it breaks beyond that you'll probably convince yourself that you need a better one anyway with ), get yourself a credit card that doubles the manufactures warranty. Most Mastercard's do this.
    Brian G.

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My parents have had a Panasonic A120 for a little over 2 years and it's still going strong. I've had one for a year and half and it's still going strong.

10. BrianO

BrianO Auditioning

How often do you/they use your A-120s? I watched 2-3 movies per week, so its not like I wore the thing out. From what I have read on this and other forums, I would say you/your parents are lucky.
    Thanks to everyone above for your comments. I am not sure I agree that an insurance policy against getting screwed for $500 after a year is a waste....although I would agree that anything over $100 is too much. Anyway, I am still not sure what I am going to do....it just ticks me off to think that we are pumping this kind of money out to companies like Panasonic and they won't even stand behind their products for more than a year.