Extended Warranty.... To do, or not to do???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Barker, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Robert Barker

Robert Barker Stunt Coordinator

Just took the plunge last night and purchased a Toshiba 50H81 from Sears. Had them prices match an internet price. Got the set for 2040.00 w/ shipping and tax. I did not purchase the Extended Warranty from Sears. They want 500.00 for five years on site, or I can pucahse a 5 year warranty from www.sonic.net/soundscape/delta.html for 388.00. I purchased the RPTV w/ my CC, and they add a second year mirror image of the manufactures warranty free.
    The questing that is haunting me is... Should I, or shouldn't I purchase an extneded warranty??? Also, if anyone has any 50H81 Calabrating Tips please email me the links or post them.
    Thank in advance,
    Robert Barker
    Austin TX
    [email protected]

2. Dave Gogebic

Dave Gogebic Extra

I'm not a big believer in extended warranties but for my RPTV I did purchase one - good insurance. I paid around $400 for 5 years - this seems to be in the ballpark. I think $500 is high - you should be able to negotiate this down.
    I'd use a competing extended warranty to bargain with Sears.

3. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

You can get a four year (coverage begins AFTER the manufacturers LABOR WARRANTY expires) 100% labor and parts, in home service contract from GE (General Electric Company) on any rptv under 61 in. for $289. Located at www.4cost.com ----I have had service contracts with GE on vehicles that I have owned. They always seemed fair and will rebate money if you sell or lose or whatever, before expiration of contract. I just got one last month on my new Toshiba. You have to purchase contract BEFORE tv is one month old.

4. Robert Barker

The Warranty for 289.00 is for a Non HD RPTV. The 4 year warranty for a HD RPTV costs 477.00. When the company says HDTV, is this for HDTV Ready sets, or sets w/ the Decoder built in?
    Thanks,
    Robert Barker

5. Robert Barker

just got off the phone a manager (Stan) at 4cost.com. He stated his GE Sales rep told him that any TV w/ a 16:9 aspect ratio is considered a HDTV. I argued the fact that the Toshiba 50H81 is a HDTV "READY" set, meaning that to receive a 1080i signal it needs the addition of a set top box. I also mentioned that there are several 4:3 TV's that can receive a HDTV Signal. Stan stated he is going to call is GE Sales rep for further clarification in what is, and is not a HDTV. What's everyone's opinion on this?

6. AlbertH

AlbertH Stunt Coordinator

for all its worth a 4 year SERVICE PLAN at best buy on any tv that has the title "hd" or "hd ready" is only $299.99

7. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Yeah, but considering Best Buy's reputation for service, it ain't worth it.

8. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

9. Robert Barker

This is true. I purchased the TV w/ my Plat MC. I'm just worried about years 3,4 and 5. I think I have found the best deal so far at www.vikingwarranty.com They have a 48 month in home extended warranty that takes effect after the MFG warranty expires for 179.00! Anyone ever do business w/ this company?
    Robert

10. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Every piece of electronic equipment that I have ever owned --- and I've owned MANY from audio/video gear to multiple computers -- has failed within the warranty period or not at all.
    I have every personal conviction that -- except for unusual circumstances which can, of course, always happen -- extended service contracts are a bad purchase.
    Besides, if your set fails 4 years from now, you'll probably be able to buy something better at much less cost. Maybe for not much more than you wasted on that extended service contract.

11. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

Robert, Sorry about the miscue at 4cost. I guess I didn't read far enough down. TJW

12. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    An extended warranty is insurance, which means that the *odds* are that you will not need to use it, and the company selling you the warranty will pocket your money. If that was not the case, they wouldn't offer to sell you the warranty.
    Any time i'm asked to buy a warranty by the company that sold me the product, i reply "why should i need one? When i was making the decision to buy, you convinced me that your product has outstanding reliability!"
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    History can be cruel in its brevity of words

13. Rob Behm

Rob Behm Extra

warranties aren't worth it.
    the current consumer reports has a nice article, but basicly by the time the warranty is up, you'd be better off with something new.

14. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I'd just like to add that unless you had a warranty that replaced your product it's totally pointless. I have NEVER had an electrical item repaired (TV, video, stereo) that didn't go wrong exactly the same within about 3-6 months. It is NOT POSSIBLE in my opinion to repair modern electronic goods and I believe there should be some sort of consumer rights tightening to get the companies to make their products better or guarantee replacements. It makes me v. angry.
    Theo

15. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I think that unless you can afford to replace it if it should fail. I have heard as little as 60% of actual repairs on modern electronics are due to "defects". I feel that it would be stupid on a VCR, 13" TV, or other cheap electronics. A need to replace an HDTV would NOT be very financially feesible. This is the way I look at it. VERY good insurance. Make sure that you have a no-lemon policy that is very liberal. Most aren't, some have to have 3 repairs of the exact same thing before you get a replacement. Others, any 3 will do. If you choose to buy it online, do so only from a reputable company and see if it is underwritten by a larger company at that. This way, there is no chance of a fly by night taking the money and running. Also, having it underwritten ensures you still have a guarantee if they go out of business (i.e. Montgomery Wards)

16. Dan Mercier

Dan Mercier Stunt Coordinator

I'm a firm believer in not buying extended warranties.
    Set the money aside for the cost of the extended warranty.
    Place it in a nice high risk investment and your chances of having enough money to buy a new fancy item are as good as
    you needing the warranty!