Extended Warranty... To buy, or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Barker, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Robert Barker

Robert Barker Stunt Coordinator

Just took the plunge last night and purchased a Toshiba 50H81 from Sears. Had them prices match an internet price. Got the set for 2040.00 w/ shipping and tax. I did not purchase the Extended Warranty from Sears. They want 500.00 for five years on site, or I can pucahse a 5 year warranty from www.sonic.net/soundscape/delta.html for 388.00. I purchased the RPTV w/ my CC, and they add a second year mirror image of the manufactures warranty free.
    The questing that is haunting me is... Should I, or shouldn't I purchase an extneded warranty??? Also, if anyone has any 50H81 Calabrating Tips please email me the links or post them.
    Thank in advance,
    Robert Barker
    Austin TX
    [email protected]

2. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

As far as warranty issue..i would. For tweaks you should head to the HomeTheaterSpot Toshiba forum.. All kinds of help there

3. DougP

DougP Agent

Personally I always so no to extended warranties. Any consumer reports-style publication will tell you that there is HUGE profit margins for them in those contracts. Might you get a lemon or have expensive maintenance after the warranty? The answer is of course "maybe" - but the cost of the warranties over time will not cover you, unless you are an exception. Otherwise the underwriters of the contracts wouldn't be in business.
    (If the profit margins weren't so drastic on these things then I'd reconsider).
    I've yet to feel remorse for not buying one. Of course if something does ever go wrong I hope I can concentrate on all the money I saved with my "policy" up until then! :)

4. Bill Broderick

Extended warranties are generally a waste of money. If you are concerned about repair costs and, like most HTF members, you buy a lot of equipment, you might want to consider "self insuring" yourself.
    Whenever you buy new equipment, find out what the cost of the extended warranty would be, and put that into a different bank account. Use the money in this account to pay for any repairs to your equipment. The vast majority of people doing this would probably be surprised to find out how large the balance in that account will become.
    ------------------

5. Scott Gerenser

Scott Gerenser Auditioning

Robert,
    I'm just wondering if there was anything special you had to do to get Sears to match that price? I'm looking to buy one of these and that sounds great... are you saying you got it for $2040 after everything, including tax?
    If you could, give me a little more details.
    Thanks a lot!

6. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Make sure that Toshiba doesn't still offer their own extended warranty. I know when I bought my TW40X81 a couple of years ago there was an insert that allowed me to purchase an extended warranty in the range of 1-4 years directly from Toshiba, plus the prices were much cheaper than anything I had been quoted. The best part was that they allowed you to take up to a whole year after the purchase to decide if you wanted it or not. I promised myself that if I ever had any problems with my set I would be sure to get at least a one year extension on my set, however I never had any problems. Chris
    ------------------
    Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net

7. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

Use you Visa if you have one and they will extend your original manufacturers warranty for a year for free.

8. RandyS

RandyS Auditioning

My story. I bought a Pioneer RPTV 8 years ago at Montgomery Ward. I bought the service contract and was glad that I did. Twice the TV had to be repaired and was completely taken care of. I was happy.
    Not long ago I had the same power problem again. Of course MW is now out of business. However Sears, in some cases, is taking care of MW's past customers service agreements. A Sears tech came out to my house and said that it would cost nearly a $1000 to repair. He really didn't know what he was doing. The service contractor said not to fix it. They gave me a $2700 credit (the set new was $2000) for replacing the TV at any Sears store. Fortunately, for me, the new models were just hitting the stores. I ordered a Hitachi 4:3 61UDX10B. I really like the picture and features. I've had it about a month and decided to go with the 61UWX10B 16:9. Called Sears and they are picking up my 4:3 set and replacing it with the 16:9 for an increase in the model price of $300 plus $40 delivery. I'm glad I had the service contract. BTW, I had the Pioneer repaired for $400 and am setting it up in my bedroom.....

9. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

I recommend the 3 year warranty. It's the best bang for the buck. It saved me from having a 36" Wega paper weight. DO a search with my username and you will see my horror story. Summing up, I thank God I spent the $300 because I now have a 47" Panasonic HDTV as a replacement and the remainder of the warranty.
    Words of caution!: Whatever you do, DO NOT allow any Sears techs to adjust or mess with your TV. They can make any problems far worse (as they did with me). If you ever have a problem, come here for help or call Toshiba. If you must get a tech, make sure they know what the hell they are doing and have the proper equipment. The Sears warranty states many things about what the techs must have with them in regards to equipment and training, but most don't come close to it, so be firm. I know I had to be.
    Good luck.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

10. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    I normally don't get these extended service plans but I bought one for this set for a number of reasons:
    * TV's enormous size makes it almost impossible for me to move it, put it in a vehicle that would have to be a pickup trup, and haul it to a service center. It took at least 6 people to take it down to my basement. I certainly wouldn't want to carry this thing on my back all alone.
    * A single in-home service call is almost the cost, if not more, of a typical extended service plan.
    * Full Warranty service period is normally only 1 year and then only for the picture tube during the second year.
    The Toshiba Extended Warranty Plan is good. It covers parts and labor for any component failure of the TV. It however costs $412 for the 5 year plan.
    I got a 5 yr plan from Philips Priority for only $194. That only a dime a day. I think I can afford that. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Errol
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

11. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator

See the Warranty section at the below for other options.
    Jim
    ------------------
    Jim
    If you're interested, or own, a Sony HDTV see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10 for >7,000 messages on making them better.

12. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

Errol, can you tell me where I can get info about the Phillips service plans?