extended warranty thoughts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

May 12, 2001
    Seems the question as to whether to purchase extended warranties comes up from time to time.
    Along that line, why not purchase your AV gear with a Platinum Visa or AMEX Blue card? I believe they both tag on an extra year warranty to the factory warranty... at NO charge.
  2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Jan 31, 2001
    I know which post you got this idea from..
    For young ppl, or ppl that don't have a lot of money, I think some service plans are a good deal. Say, $30 for 4 years on a 27 in. television. My TV died on me 3 years and 9 months into my warranty, and I got it repaired free. Well, it cost me $30 some 3 years 9 months ago, but you get the point.
    If I had more money I might have looked at that as an opportunity to upgrade, but back then that warranty saved my ass.
    It all depends on how long you want to use something and if you can justify the initial cost. After all, 4 years of owning something and quite often (damn near always) its going to be out of date and you'll want a new toy anyway.
    Back on topic.. All platinum visas offer that? I'll have to check that out.
    that's my 2 cents,
  3. Cortney J Beard

Mar 1, 2000
    The manufactures warranty is usually 12 months parts/90 days labor, even doubling this is not really all that much considering most extended warranties go for 3 to 5 years. The manufacturer only covers against "manufacturers defects" where ext. coverage usually covers normal wear and tear i.e. the remote wearing out, power surges, and will give you loaners or in home service. Most of the time extended coverage is a good buy, especially if its under 50 bucks.(the average fee just to tell you what is wrong with stuff is 40 bucks!!)
  4. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Feb 8, 1999
    Rich Allen
    Most extended warranties are not a good deal. The make lots of money on them and it's from not having to be used. And most manufacturer warranties are 1 year parts and labor. VCR's are the exception. They do tend to be 1 year parts, 90 days labor, but many states now require that you can not be charged labor to replace a defective part.
    And there is the key fact that most electronic components break down in the first year, or not for a long time.
    The only thing I would really consider getting one for is a large screen TV. That truly would be very expensive to fix, especially with in home service.
    If you do decide to get one, look on the name for a second party. Much cheaper than most stores charge and you get better service. Stores like Best Buy charge way too much for them and have a history of not honoring them.
    You might want to do a search on this site for other posts on extended warranties and others comments.