Extended warranty & open box items

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Curtis, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Mike Curtis

Mike Curtis Auditioning

I'm considering buying an open box Denon 3803 from my local Good Guys store.

Should I buy the extended warranty for it through Good Guys? I typically don't buy the extended warranty on electronic equipment.

Thanks for the help.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

it's like car insurance. you hate to pay it but sure are glad to have it if you need it.

plus you should consider the price ratio. in some gear, a warranty may cost you 50 bucks, when the entire component only costs 300. that's about 15% of the total price!

simply put ... is it worth it to you?

i guess the issue of it being an open box may be an additional consideration.

finally, try this. since it's good guys, and you're buying an open box, and you're buying the warranty, ask them if they'll cut you a deal. i bet they will -- remember that warranties are very desirable for stores to sell. you can take the savings from the unit and apply it towards your warranty purchase!

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Here, 5 year BB warranties for projection TVs go for a third of the replacement value. Now really, I see no reason to go out and buy one of those. Then again, if it will make you worry less about your purchase, it may be worth it. It's a tradeoff between the money you pay for it and the comfort level it provides for you.

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Doesn't Denon already warranty their gear if its through an authorized dealer?

5. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Oh yeah, Mike YGM. [​IMG]