What's new

Extended warranty on DLP TV's. Are they worth it? (1 Viewer)

SteveI

Auditioning
I just bought a Samsung DLP TV today, model HLP5085W. I'm still undecided on whether or not the get the extended warranty, which will be $380 for two years and $600 for 4 years. Samsung already has a 1 year warranty. If the product is defective I would imagine that something would go wrong in the first year and it would be covered by Samsung's warranty.

The bulb has an estimated life of about 8000 hours. At 4 hrs a day that would be about 5 years. A replacment bulb is $200.

I would rather spend the $600 on something else. Has anyone heard about any reliabilty problems with this specific model?

SimiA

Second Unit
Don't, repeat, don't, believe the 8000 hour life span.
Maybe??????, half that.
That equals $600, over 7 and a half years.
Vb

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
There's a known defect in the 46" that Samsung is replacing on a "as needed" basis. I would STAY AWAY from a DLP entirely and wait for the new Sony LCD series. More detail, cable card, built in HD tuner, Twin View, etc. The DLP may look brighter, but details get washed out. More downcoversion artifacts, flicker (strobe), and rainbows.

If you feel you ABSOLUTELY MUST get the DLP, then get the warranty.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Be careful because some warranties will not include the replacement of bulbs. Make sure you specifically find out whether the bulbs are going to be covered or not if you buy the warranty.
I've purchased warranties in the past but never used them. I would probably not buy another extended warranty in the future.
The bulb if it goes out is going to cost you $300 anyways so if you're buying the warranty just to cover the bulb, then perhaps its just better to forget the warranty and buy the bulb when it goes.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Know someone who just got a 50" LCD and was talked into the EW just for 'eventual bulb replacement'.

Doesn't make sense to me; why blow $400-$600 now when the bulb could last for years?

As LCD/DLP sets become more common, bulb prices may also go down.

I suppose the entire TV could crap out, but why assume the worst.

GregHC

Agent
I just got a 50" LCD
I did pick up the warranty. It does cover bulb replacement. Panny will cover it if it blows the first year.

Why did I buy the warranty.
Bulb replacement. When the bulb blows within the first 5 years, it will be replaced. Heck it may blow 2 or more times. (6 hours a day, 6k hour life . About 2.8 years) so chances are decent it may go twice. Right there the warranty paid for itself.
I can then get the tv cleaned/calibrated (Not isf) 2 times a year.
Piece of mind. Knowing if the projector or anything else goes bad it will be fixed. I can now feel comfortable watching the TV when there is a storm. Since if the power goes out, the TV shuts off without the cooling fan. Chances goes up that the bulb goes boom. This means I don't have to invest in a backup power supply (UPS).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks