Extended Warranties

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Simpson, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Chad Simpson

Chad Simpson Auditioning

Best Buy has the Panasonic CT27SX-11 on sale this week for $499.00. I like the set because the colors seem very accurate to me. Best Buy offers an extended warranty for 4 years for $60.00 (in home). Should I get this or is it a wastes of money?

2. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Do you gamble?? Ever play poker?? Its a game of chance.
    If your TV breaks ONCE, it will cost you significantly more than $60 to fix it, not to mention, you will have to unhook it and carry it in to wherever you want it fixed.
    If you want to chance your odds that the TV will never break in 4 years, then dont buy it. No one can really tell you whether you should or not.

3. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    The odds are very heavy that if it breaks, it will be in the original warranty period. And make sure you read the fine print. Is it 4 additional years or 4 total including the first, which is already covered by the manufacturer. And some credit cards automatically double the warranty of anything you buy with it. Also, make sure it's "in home" service on the warranty. Best Buy unfortunately is famous for being a little slack on their fulfilling service agreements.
    Just make sure you do research first before you decide to buy it. You might want to do a search on this site for other threads about service plans or extended warranties, especially in the hardware section.
    Good Luck!