What's new

Extended Warranties (1 Viewer)

Tim_George

Auditioning
Since I'm on a roll here getting my questions answered. I'd be interested in opinions concerning the extended warranties/performance plans for RPTV's. I only have 14 days to decide if I want to spend $499 for the Circuit City Plan to fully cover my new Hitachi for four years. I know it's a lot to pay (1/4 of the purchase price) but I have no idea of the maintenance or repair frequency/cost on these big screens.

Thanks,
Tim

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a fan of "extended warranties," and that $499 would go largely to line the retailer's pockets.

NateM.

Auditioning
I work at one of Circuit's Competitor, and $499 seems like way too much money to pay for a 4 year service plan! I'm not the biggest fan of them either, but other retailers are far more competitive offering them at around $299. Also, if you're concerned about maintenance that much check the contents of your box and see what Hitachi offers, just a thought. I've had 2 RPTV's, both Toshiba widescreens, and I haven't had one problem with either of them. I have seen problems over time as I work with them everyday, but it's far less likely to go bad within 4 years than it is to work just fine. Also, there are a lot the warranty won't cover anyways such as screen burn-in, reallignment, often times Circuit won't cover power surges, and the in-home service can take up to 3-4 weeks!

My advice, keep the money and have yourself a good time with it!

Hooah!

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Most manufactures offer 1 year parts and labor with in home service for RPTV's. Before the year is up contact your manufacture for an extended warranty :emoji_thumbsup:

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Cicuit City in the US is much like Future Shop in Canada. Their extended warranties are hugely over priced and they actually make a higher after cost profit on the warranty than on the product itself.

Future Shop quote me $498 ext warranty on the Hitachi 57S500, because their warranty pricing is based on the price of the product.

Sears not only gave me the same price, the same warranty was $152.00 because their structure is different. I got it becuase of the 'in-home' service. I can't imagine trying to return a 57" TV!

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I worked at CC a few years back part time, and extended warranties was our money maker :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks