What's new

Extended warranties on tv's-who has gotten one? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I will probably end up getting the Sony 34XBR910 but was trying to decide if the extended warranty was worth it. What is the average life span on a new direct view set from Sony. Thanks for any input.

James Camm

Grip
For whats it worth I got a sony wega 36in in 2001 w/ no ex warranty and its still going stong. I did purchase a a tosh 51h83 this past week and did get the ex warrranty just for peace of mind.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I bought one about 10mths after getting my Panasonic 47 widescreen. My dealer offers a credit towards future purchases if you don't use the warranty in any way. So I have a win win situation.

Kevin

Jay McC

Agent
Someone once told me that if shelling out the cash to replace the item was a big deal, then get the extended warranty. Thats why i got one for my 40 inch XBR.

Phil-s

Auditioning
almost all credit cards offer an extended warranty for no charge. Usual term is 2X manuf. with a maximum of 1 year. Might as well just go play your money on a hand of blackjack. Considering there's a better chance you'll win compared to the chance your tv fails. There is a reason bestbuy pushes them so hard. Basically pure profit.

NicholasTS

Stunt Coordinator
sure, extended warranties are offered with credit cards, but normal wear and tear, dust, heat and humidity do not qualify as a "manufacture's defect." Precisely why Best Buy does not sell extended warranties. If you read the title on the front of the brochure they give you, no where does it say that it is an extended warranty. Performance is key-- if the TV, at any time within four years, does not perform like it did right out of the box, onsite service is just a call away. Try making a claim for your TV after it's been struck by lightning, I'd be interested to see if your credit cards' "extended warranty" applies. Most likely you'll be paying a $500+ deductible on your home owner's insurance.

These Performance Service Plans are renewable. When the initial four years expires, the same complete coverage for the following four years can be purchased at half the price.

TV's 27"+ just aren't worth the hassle of shipping, hauling, etc. Get the plan; when the "remote's" batteries fall out and would otherwise require a bit of duct tape you'll be happy you did.

Nick

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Anything above $2000, I usually get an extended warranty. Peace of mind comes to play that after the manufacturer's warranty, I wouldn't have to worry about that things going south.
As for lifespans, we have a Sony 27" since '98 and though I do not want to jinx it, it hasn't given us anything but great viewing. As for RPTVs, that maybe another animal all together.

Bob Segno

Agent
To me they are a waste of money.My 32" Sony that is in the bedroom now is still as good as the first day I bought it in 1994 V series. My 60" Mits in the living room I bought in '95 with the extended warranty. Never used it.For an old Mits,never had a problem and still is as good a picture when new. I'm buying a new Mits HDTV soon 65",probably the new 513 model and will not buy the extended warranty. I know the owener of Warrentech,who does the majority of extended warranty's in the business.He told me last year that evry few claims are made for TV's. He's a very wealthy man , by the way...

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I had a 50" Toshiba wide w/ extended service. After 1 year 8 months, it went out. They had problems fixing the TV. I now have a new television. I recommend them on a big purchase.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
I generally agree with Consumers Reports that extended warrenties are a major rip-off. Having said that, I purchased one when I bought my Sony 50" GW III last month. I did it mainly because the technology is new, I am unfamiliar with it, and we don't know how reliable the sets will be. For 10% of the purchase price, I decided it was worth it.

Tom Fynan

MikewL

Grip
See the thread on AVSforum titled "CircuitCity/Hitachi 50v500 crop circle BS!!!" Sorry, they won't let me post a link!

That's why I bought the extended warranty on my 60v500. ALL performance issues are covered. Worth the money easily.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Honestly, I buy them on all major purchases. I agree that if I put the money aside that the EW would cost on everything it's offered to me on, I would probably win out in the long run. However, I wouldn't put that money out, and I'm very careful about what I purchase them on and what types of plans I purchase (only big tickets, and performance plans v extended warranties).
My feeling is that even if I just break even, it seems a lot better to put out $300 3 times and only use it on one of the products, then get hit with a repair for $900 some time. (just work them into your purchase price)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i got a 3 year one with my tv back in july 2003, i already got a new tube with it but i still have my intermiddent purity problem that no one can help me on :frowning:

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I,ve always heard extended warranties are a rip off.Places like BB and other retailers make big money on them that's why they push them so hard.Direct view TV's are pretty reliable I wouldn't buy it.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
NicholasTS, sounds like somebody has that PSP presentation down pat. ;)

After working in a major electronics store for a few years now I'v got a pretty darn good idea of what items I would and wouldn't buy an extended warranty on. Service plans on RPTVs, plasmas, and HDTV CRTs are a must. Other big ticket items that one should seriously consider an extended service plan on are XBoxs, PS2s, digital video cameras (these are insanely expensive to fix), DVHS decks, etc. If you are planning to buy an extended warranty, or a salesperson is forcing one on you, grill them about theoretical situations. Get an idea of exactly what is covered... make them earn the sale and do not assume that X or Y is covered. If they can't answer your questions, get them to get a manager who can.

In my experience, we bought a Sony KP53V45 in 1997 from Sears with an extended warranty. It died two months later and after an unsuccessful repair job, it was replaced with another KP53V45, which subsequently died 8 months later only to be replaced with a KP53V75. That one last about 12 months before needed new guns and then it died completely 6 months after that only to be replaced with yet another model. This one has been pretty good. But considering the cost of parts for these things, I wouldn't take a chance on not having an extended service plan of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks