Extended Version of Dazed and Confused" Coming to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by WillG, Jan 4, 2004.

1. WillG

WillG Producer

I was talking with a friend the other day and he told me that there was something in the current issue of Blender Magazine to suggest that an Extended edition of "Dazed and Confused" is coming to DVD. I have heard blurbs here or there about a much longer cut of the film. I hear there are even some bootlegs floating around. I don't get Blender, but I have not heard any news here or anywhere else. Can anyone confirm this?

2. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

A longer cut DOES exist... supposedly its close to 4 hours long. But this is the first I've heard about it being officially released on DVD.

3. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

The insert in the "American Wedding" DVD is a promotion for other Universal DVDs. What I noticed immediately was that it shows "Dazed and Confused" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" with the new "High School Reunion Collection" banner at the top of the cover art ala the recent re-release of "The Breakfast Club" and other John Hughes films. Are these new releases or are they the same discs we already have just with the new "High School Reunion Collection" banner slapped across the front? Now, the current/old "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" DVD already has a 16:9 enhanced widescreen (1.85:1) transfer, a commentary track with Amy Heckerling and Cameron Crowe, and a nice documentary so I don't know what else could be added. Perhaps some deleted and/or TV scenes or some outtakes? But the current/old "Dazed and Confused" DVD is non-anamorphic and barebones so could this new "High School Reunion Collection" DVD be 16:9 enhanced? After all, the "High School Reunion Collection" re-releases of the John Hughes films (on Sept. 2, 2003) contained new 16:9 enhanced transfers.

[​IMG]

Here's another pic of "Fast Times..." Amazon.com lists the specs as the same.

[​IMG]

4. David Fisher

David Fisher Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure that it's the same version. Linklater & friends had a 10th Anniversary showing of D&C this May in Austin, and I'm pretty sure that somebody asked if there would be a new edition of the DVD and Linklater said that it wasn't likely (probably due to his working relationship with Universal).

5. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

The Fast Times and Dazed and Confused 2-pack is the same discs that are available individually. Interestingly, the 2-pack runs for $20 while each movie individually is $15.

6. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

An extended anamorphic version of this film would be great. I love this movie. I always wished it was longer though.

7. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan

Damn. Now that is some bad news. I have been waiting for an anamorphic version of D&C for years. My 16x9 want list is down to three movies (D&C, Scream, and Goodfellas) and it looks like two of them will be stuck there for a long, long time.

If anyone runs into Richard again, beg him to get this done for us, the fans.

-Reagan

8. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

Isn't four hours perhaps a tad long? I mean its hardly Lord of the Rings...[​IMG]

9. Page

Page Stunt Coordinator

If it's any consolation to you, the Region 2 PAL version of "Dazed And Confused" is anamorphic (and 5.1 Dolby Digital.)

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

You know, I'd be interested in seeing what was cut, but I'd be hardpressed to believe it could be a better film. It's so tight and narratively perfect as it is, despite the seeming "shaggy dog" nature of the story. It's gotta great flow, and never loses energy. Hard to believe it could be bettered.

11. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan

Rich, I feel the same way.

-Reagan

12. David Fisher

David Fisher Stunt Coordinator

If you're a fan, come to Austin for the next anniversary party (hopefully in five years). Matt McConaughey, Parker Posey, Jason London, Rory Cochrone, and several other cast members were here for the 10th An. screening and it was a blast. I thought that the local paper featured a blurb about Linklater's Q&A comments on the dvd, but I can't find it anywhere. Needless to say, it sounds like he'd love to do it, if only it was possible.

And I agree, I think that the film is perfect in its current edit. I'd love to see some deleted scenes, but an extended cut really couldn't improve anything.