Extended Pause harm CDs or Player??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Tonkin, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Robert Tonkin

Hopefully folks can help settle an ongoing "debate" the wife and I are having. She worked in an electronics store many years ago and swears that leaving a CD player in pause mode will harm both the CD and the player (something a tech told her she says). I say "fooeey", it does no harm. I often hit the pause in my home office to answer the phone, and often don't get around hitting the play button for an hour or two.

Any informed opinions?

Thanks!

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I've done this for YEARS with regular CDs and has never been problem.

CDs use Al as the reflective layer. Al melts around 600C. Don't think that's going to happen in a CD player.

I would add to the question, and say, "how about CD-R's or CD-RW's too" ? They use organics, and might have problems at lower temperatures where a normal Al CD wouldn't...

But I would *still* imagine that when a CD player goes into pause mode, that the laser turns off. Anyone know for sure?

3. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

I don't know *for sure* but for the CD player to resume playback almost immediately, the laser would have to be on to keep tracking the CD.

Laser diodes and spindle motors in CD players are built to last a long long time, so I would not worry about it. Still, (as a holdover from my old analog tape habits) if I know I'll be away for more than a minute, I usually stop the machine rather than put it on pause. Just a habit though.

-JNS