Extended LOTR film over 2 discs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Torquil, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Torquil

Torquil Agent

So I'm going to have to eject and replace the disc in the middle of the movie?
    I sure as hell hope not.[​IMG]
    Please tell me I'm wrong.

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    You're not wrong. Them's the breaks if you want a high-quality presentation.

DJ

3. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Makes me glad that the last player I bought was a changer. [​IMG]

4. Torquil

Torquil Agent

you mean it won't even fit on a DVD-18?

The DVD format still has a long way to go. Bring on them there blue lasers.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Changing discs is a lot less painful than watching a 208 min. movie stuffed onto a DVD-9.
    Even Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, Gone With The Wind, and Cleopatra REQUIRE more than one dual layered side (whether it's a DVD-18 or two DVD-9s) because of their length.
    The Fellowship of the Ring's intermission will be placed at the end of disc one, anyways, so it's not like it's a change right in the middle of the scene.
    Hey...it's a small price to pay for 4 commentaries, DTS 5.1 ES, and a new director's cut. [​IMG]

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

7. Christian R

Christian R Agent

Don't take this the wrong way, but....
    DOESN'T ANYONE EVER GO TO THE BATHROOM ANYMORE?
    OR GET HUNGRY DURING A DVD MARATHON LIKE THIS?
    OR THIRSTY?
    HOW ABOUT JUST SOME PLAIN EXERCISE - getting up and changing discs just isn't an issue for me with such a long movie - ya actually get to pump some blood through the dying nether regions.
    I'd rather have a great presentation IMO. It's not like in the heyday of laser where you had to change discs every 1/2 hour on CAVs!!!

8. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Yeah it will fit on a DVD-18. But there are concearns with quality control. Also most people like to have the silk screen artwork on one side of the disc. Even if it was DVD-18 you would still have to get up and flip the disc over. So whats the difference.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    As far as DVD-18, here's the way I look at it - with DVD-18, EVERYBODY is inconvienced. Doesn't matter whether you have a single-disc player or a changer, you've got to get up & flip that disc. With a 2-disc set, only the single-disc player folks are inconvenienced. The 2-disc set is the lesser of two evils.

But really, I agree with Christian R. I can't believe so many people make such a big deal about this.

10. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

DVD-18 would be even worse. People with multiple disc changers would then have to get up and flip the disc over. DVD-18 sucks.

11. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

I doubt if this would ever happen, but I think it would be interesting for New Line to actually author and make a very small run of FOTR-Extended Cut squeezed onto a single DVD-9, complete with the 4 commentaries, DTS6.1, DD, etc.

Then they could send that version, along with the REAL version, to all of the popular DVD review sites, who would then spread the word loudly (complete with A/B screencaps to compare) about what a correct decision it was to force people to spend 60 seconds changing discs in the middle of the movie (or in my case, pressing "Disc 2" on the remote of my 5-disc changer).

12. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I have to agree with Christian R and Craig S. God forbid people should have to get off the couch. [​IMG]
    I'd rather go through the "trouble" of getting up for a couple of minutes than having an inferior picture and/or sound.
    Of course...maybe they'd do a one disc-verison...without DTS. Then imagine the uproar we'd be seeing. [​IMG]

13. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

It's a 208 minute movie! You're going to have to get up to go to the bathroom, to get a drink, or to get a snack sometime during the movie, so why not change the disc while you're at it? [​IMG]

14. Torquil

Torquil Agent

All - I think you're right, and I stand convinced that this is the best way to go given current technology limitations.
    I had no idea there'd be an intermission, rather than a cut off "mid-scene", so I guess it'll just be like putting in the second episode of a series, like say Frank Herbert's Dune.
    Of course the DVD changer is the way to go - but I haven't seen any here in the UK (although I'm sure Dan will correct me [​IMG] ).

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Agreed.

If you don't want to interrupt your 4 hour movie then get a changer. There are many movies spread accross 2 discs so this would benefit you with them as well.

I hate DVD-18. The idea of "flipping" a disc is more of a pain bcs you can't load the disc into a changer like you could with 2 separate discs. Also, I enjoy silk-screened art. I like knowing which end it up when I load the disc without having to get out the microscope to read the small print around the hub.

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

17. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

This is also a special movie. We can be 99% certain the change will occur as it does in the book: don't forget that LOTR is actually made up of 6 'books', two to each part. The change will be at the white out at the ford...

18. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

I agree! Why should we have to go through the monumental effort of GETTING UP and exchanging that HEAVY disc for another? These movies aren't worth it! The Godfather Part II, Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence Of Arabia, who needs that overrated trash? This crap isn't worth all this hassle, pain and suffering! I hate the DVD companies!
    [​IMG]
    -Tom

19. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

20. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Sorry, I know it's already been said in this thread multiple times but: