What's new

Extended Garantees ??? If u have an opinion please answer ASAP. (1 Viewer)

RichardA

Agent
Are these advisable of projection TV's? Buying a Toshiba 50H82. They want $409 Canadian or $258 US for an extended 6yr warranty package. These TVs only have a one year warranty. Are these warranties worth it??

Thanks

Richard

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This question came up in the basics portion of the forum a couple of days ago.Presshere to go to that thread.
I mkight change my view if the total is for six years. Also I don't know enough about projection devices to have a valid view on MTTR.
However, you may wish to carefully check the contract for your obligations (do you have to perform peridoc maint) before signing.
Caveat Emptor ;)

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Rich, I normally do not buy extended warranties but the one they are offering is a good deal. The chances of something going wrong with an HD RPTV within six years is actually pretty high and the repair costs for these sets are catastrophic. Just make sure and read the fine print on what the warantee will and won't cover. Also, ask what happens when the warranty is used, is it good for multiple repairs? Is it onsite service? I paid $185 for a four year warranty on my set and it's the first extended warranty I have ever purchased.

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Consumer Reports recommends not purchasing extended warranties for anything except camcorders and RPTVs. Because of the relative high failure rate of these devices, they do recommend them for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks