Extended cuts, Directors cuts, EE, SE, etc.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff_Standley, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I was recently at our local DVD spot looking for new DVD's to add to my collection, and came across 2 that I have been looking at for several weeks and months, But still cant bring my self stuff to purchase. They were Underworld Extended cut and Hellboy Directors cut.

I usually base my decision on the content of the new DVD, extended movie, new special features etc. I liked both of these movies alot and I know that eventually I will buy these, I just always end up putting them off for something new that I either dont have or have'nt seen. Both of these new DVD's have alot of new content so I dont have a problem shelling out the additional $20 for them.

But I have held off on buying some special editions due to lack of content (Klumps, something more about mary) or just a movie that I dont care to see 20 minutes more of. I just cant bring myself to purchase the same DVD with 10 minutes of crappy new useless footage. Especially after the release of all of the LOTR movies and the Extended Editions of each one, the bar has been raised in extended editions. I have a friend that waited untill each of the EE came out before he bought them, I just cant do that. I need the original movie and the EE's. Of course he does'nt watch any of the special features, he just gets them for the longer cut of the film.

The Kill Bill sets that are in talks (Ive heard 6 in all) are definitely DVD's that I would get if filled with enough special features and or different versions of the film. (it's a sickness, hehe)
    I dont mind buying a second (or even 3rd) release of a movie that I already have, but it had better have something worth my $20 or $30 or Im passing it up at the store and, maybe renting it from Netflix to view the extras. That's not even mentioning the SuperBit editions out now either.

So what do you base your decision on when buying SE, EE, Director cuts? Or do you even buy them?

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It all depends on how much I liked the movie. Although, I probably wouldn't have ANY version of a movie if I didn't like it enough to also upgrade.

There are some examples where I normally wouldn't have bought the re-release. Such as the Dazed And Confused: SE, if that hadn't been 16 x 9 I would have never bought it. That was like 20 minutes of special features and nothing else BUT this time it was formatted for HDTVs so I picked it up. [​IMG]

3. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

If I like the film, I will upgrade a title if:

It has a new 16x9 transfer
    It has new commentary track(s)
    It has new documentaries

I won't upgrade a title if it's a rehash of
    an existing title with fluff about the making of
    a sequel. Examples-

The Spider-Man 3 disc edition
    The Miss Congeniality deluxe edition
    The Fast And The Furious tricked out edition

I won't upgrade to Super Bit either, except the Spider-
    Man Super Bit with the Maguire and Simmons commentary
    track. This track wasn't included with the original
    2 disc edition, so I got it because the commentaries
    are my favorite feature of DVDs.

Unfortunately us collectors have to make these types
    of decisions because studios want us to keep buying
    their product over and over and over again.

4. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

I wish I hadn't bought the new The Good, Bad, and the Ugly. I LOVE that movie and it was the first disc I purchased back in 99 when I bought my DVD player. I upgraded to this "new" edition and was EXTREMELY disappointed in some of the new scenes. One of them flat out does not make sense and the others are useless and redundant. Plus the use of the actors' current voice with it's very obvious aging is extremely distracting. It made the film worse.

Also, a former friend bought Amadeus SE and I watched it with him and it was the first time seeing it for me, but it was one of his favorite movies. He HATED this version and even though I hadn't seen it, I could tell what was put in.

So generally I am AGAINST alot of director's cuts because a majority of them lower the film instead of make it better.

5. Stan Rozenfeld

Stan Rozenfeld Stunt Coordinator

Generally, I am in favor of director's cut, if it's a genuine new cut and not a marketting gimmick. If I see a movie in the theaters and I could see how better editing would have improved it, I get it. A perfect example is Daredevil Director's Cut which is like a different movie compared to the dumbed down theatrical version.

In general, I will upgrade if there is a significantly superior picture/sound quality and/or if there is a potentially superior new cut. I won't upgrade for more extras (which I hardly ever watch). I also keep only one version of the movie... the 'inferior' version gets sold off.

I enjoyed Hellboy a lot in the movie theater, but it's strength was in characters and action, not in plot. I could see how the addition of 15 minutes could improve the movie significantly. But I don't care about most of the extras, so I hate shelling out over $20 for this DVD until it comes down in price.

6. Manus

Manus Second Unit

A very interesting topic . Will 'upgradability' die out when the HD-DVD/Bluray come along ?? After all , there's so much room on these discs that no 'proper extras' should need to be left off ( although look at the 'rights issues hell' that the likes of 'Blade Runner' are in ).

To a certain extent 'upgradability' was invented by we fans and not the studios. As long as some people believe , for example, that dts is always better than Dolby then the studios know that by holding back the dts track ( for a Superbit for example) they can encourage double-dipping to some extent. Spice it up with a new commentary/documentary and it becomes even more attractive. Let's face it, we're all suckers for our favourite favourite movies and want the best version available of these at the very least .[​IMG]

To make it worse, then theres even more temptation by cruising the different regions in search of even more perfect editions.France recently got a 3-disc 'Killing Zoe'and 4-disc versions of 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' and 'Two Brothers' and Scandinavia got a brilliant remastered edition of American cult classic 'Boondock Saints'.

Japanese Region 2 discs are usually fabulously made even if they are extortionately priced so if you want 'Aliens' or 'Chronicles of Riddick' or 'Blade' or 'Armageddon' in dts its the place to go (www.cdjapan.co.jp)
    For more goodies see this earlier thread :

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=192926

In the future , it will even more tricky to make a good choice because' more discs=better value' will not apply to the newer formats.

Lets enjoy the movies as well as the ride

[​IMG]

M

7. Ocean Phoenix

Ocean Phoenix Supporting Actor

You can't always be sure that the new footage will be "crappy" and/or "useless". The first time I rented Halloween, I rented "the extended edition". I later found out that two of my favourite scenes in "Halloween", which I consider very important to the movie, are only in this version. When I found out that they are not in the theatrical version, I was very disappointed, and now I always show the extended edition to friends that I'm introducing to the movie, because I think they would enjoy the movie more (like I do) by seeing it with these scenes included.

8. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

Well, if I think there's going to be a director's cut available sometime down the line, I don't buy the current DVD. For example, Saw. I KNOW there is stuff that was cut to get a R rating. The current DVD is the rated R version, so I'm assuming there's going to be an extended version hopefully soon.

9. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

In general I've enjoyed extended/expanded/director's cuts. I want the studios and filmmakers to be really careful about it, though. They have a tendency there to get carried away.

LOTR:ROTK EE actually has a shot that was *filmed* three weeks *after* the movie won the best picture Oscar! That's a bit silly, IMO. I'll forgive 'em because it's a special case (spending so many long years on the project and wanting to get it "just right"), but I'd hate to see that sort of thing become commonplace.

10. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

Jessie, i have heard from several sources that its only like 10 seconds that were cut from saw.

11. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

Those extended scenes in "Halloween" are useless. They were shot during the filming of "Halloween II" more than 2 years later. John Carpenter did not want to shoot these scenes but was forced into by NBC. They are definitely not meant to be there.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

With regards to Halloween, I have to admit that I like the TV scenes (especially the one with young Michael and Loomis in 1964) and I think they make a better link to Halloween II (which was part of the point of doing the scenes). However, I feel that Carpenter has the final call over the 'correct' version movie so when I watch Halloween, I watch the theatrical cut of it.

It just kinda sucks that the scenes were forced into the movie to make the minimum running time because I think there should be some bridge between the prologue and the rest of the movie.

13. Jeff_Standley

Yes, if a movie goes from full screen to wide screen, it is almost a definite pick up in my book.

14. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

With Halloween, I enjoy the extended scenes (especially the scene with Loomis at Smith's Grove at the beginning), but I acknowledge the theatrical version as the better film because it seems to flow better. The insertion of the new scenes at the beginning don't transition to 1978 as smoothly as the theatrical version. There's just something more mysterious about the blank stare on young MM's face, and panning from this straight to the title sequence is better.

15. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I wish all extended Editions were done like The Abyss. Or T2 for that matter. Seamless Branching is something that I pray picks up more with the Newer formats coming out. Not this stupid click the button to see the scene that could be here edition. Just a little Rant. As far as different cuts go and all that, look at The Abyss, Brazil, Or Leon. All easily worth another purchase. Even just as little as 3 minutes added to Natrual Born Killers changes the film amazingly. Only wish the cuts were on the same disc. oh well.

16. EnricoE

EnricoE Supporting Actor

i tend to wait these days for certain movies if the call get's out that a new version or a special edition is already in the making like for hellboy, spider-man 2 or kill bill. i don't see any reason to put that much money into the throats of the studios then it's needed [​IMG]
    as for kill bill i'm holding because i want the version the mr. tarantino was planning in the first place and it seams that the wait for this version isn't so long anymore.

upgrading from a current dvd to a new on i only gonna do if the video/audio is better then it is on the current dvd. example would be 1st edition is non-anamorphic and the new is anamorphic. extras can play a key role if there are really worth it. but if it's only a cash cow for a sequel like universal did for the fast and furious or chronicles of riddick, i don't see any reason to get the new version unless i don't have the film at all and the old one isn't available anymore like i experienced with pitch black director's cut.

and with the upcoming hdtv releases of movies i even think twice as hard if i get the dvd or if i gonna wait for the hdtv version.

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I think for the most part, Dir Cuts tend to be better.

Heres a few Dir Cuts I think are much better than the theatrical version:

Blade Runner
    Nixon
    Robocop
    Butterfly Effect
    Natural Born Killers
    Superman The Movie (not better,but I do like the added scenes in the subway before he reached Luthors lair)
    Hellboy
    Daredevil
    Leon The Professional (International Version, not really a Dir Cut)
    Aliens

18. Jeff_Standley

One of the director cuts or changes that I didnt like was when the first american pie came out on DVD. They changed the pie scene from standing up in front of the counter, to getting caught on top of the counter. I thought the theatrical version was much funnier and was dissapointed that they would change the scene with out even offering you the option of the theatrical version. I dont know if they have changed it since the first release but I hope studios take note of this and dont make changes from what we originally saw in the theater unless they offer both version on the disc. Or if there are enough changes in the movie and more features give us the now expected EE or SE.

19. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

You are referring to the "Unrated Version". The rated version is the theatrical version.