Extended auto warranty

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Steve Ridges, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Steve Ridges

Steve Ridges Stunt Coordinator

I'm investigating purchasing an extended warranty for our Dodge Caravan. If you have an extended warranty, what company is it with? What has your experience been with them? Has anyone ever heard or delt with a company called Warranty America? I called my dealerships service department to see if they had ever worked with them and they had no idea who they were so that's seems like a red flag to me. Thanks for any input you might have.

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Alfie
    If it's a used Dodge I sure as heck would! They have really low reliability ratings...transmissions being high on the list of troubles.

My Intrepid had to have a new tranny put in after just 36,000 miles. Another friend has a Dodge and she too had tranny troubles...notorious in Dodges it seems.

My sister got a 2 year old used Tahoe and opted for the warranty..lucky she did...after 1200 miles of use, she had some bad manifold problems or something along those lines and it would have cost her over a grand to fix it all...

Alfer

3. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

The best extended warranty companies are 1SourceAuto and Warranty Direct. I had an extended warranty through 1Source and they were great. Paid for everything right away and when I sold the car and cancelled, I received my check for the balance right away. Definitely recommended by me. [​IMG]

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I'm definitely not one of the American car bashers (very popular nowdays). But Dodge minivans (other brand minivans too, for that matter) don't have the highest reliability ratings in the world.

As far as where to get a warranty - be careful. Some of those places can go out of business. Get one from someplace highly reviewed and known to be fiscally sound.

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Homer Simpson: "Extended Warranty? How can I LOSE???" [​IMG]

Seriously, read the warranty carefully to see what it covers. Most extended warranties will only cover manufacturers defects. Basically, if your car has a manufacturers defect, either it will surface within the first few years of the cars life (i.e. no need for the extended warranty) or the company will take care of it free of charge (if it's a major blunder).

Basically, it's very tough to run into a problem that would fall under some of these "extended warranty" guidelines.

Just like with anything else. I once bought a cheap 19" TV for $200 (for my bedroom) and the guy was pressuring me into this $60 extended warranty. I kept refusing and he (thinking he was clever) said "Think of it this way, would you ever buy a CAR without an extended warranty???" - Having just recently bought a brand new car without an extended warranty, I said (with a smirk on my face) "Why yes, I just did" [​IMG]

He was still persistant and I said "Look, if the TV craps out on me, I'll just chuck it in the dumpster...I DON'T want the warranty!!!" - Here it is 8 years later, and the TV is still alive and kicking! [​IMG]