Extended auto warranty

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by AVspec, Oct 27, 2003.

1. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    I am thinking about getting one as my factory warranty runs out the beginning of next year and wanted to find out what others thought of extended warranties and the best place to purchase them as it seems like everyone and their brothers offer them.

Oh it is for a 2001 Grand AM GT1 just incase that makes a difference. [​IMG]

2. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

The only extended warranties worth anything are the ones issued by the manufacturer. (In this case, GM)
    Do not get a warranty by a third-party. They go out of business all the time, and you are left with nothing but a worthless piece of paper.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Homer Simpson: "Extended Warranty? How can I lose!!!!!"
    [​IMG]

Seriously, Read the extended warranty VERY CAREFULLY before you agree. Most extended warranties only cover manufacturers defects, and let's face it, if there was a defect from the manufacturer, you're car wouldn't be running long enough to even be covered by the extension.

The way I see it is, if it's broken to begin with, you'll probably notice it within the first 6 months to a year.

4. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    Yea, I thought it was kind of strange that there were so many different companies out on the internet offering them.

I can get the GM one as my car is still under the factory one but is the GM extended warranty worth it or should I just take my chances... like I always do... ?

5. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Like anything else, you need to do your homework before purchasing an extended warranty. There are many reputable companies out there offering them that have very strong financial backing. There are also many questionable companies out there with shaky finances.

I have a third party extended warranty for my Corvette and have been very happy with it. Check out 1Source. I went with them over GMPP because the coverage was better, the price was cheaper and I can take my car almost anywhere to have it fixed.

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Another problem with most 3rd party warranties is that you have to pay everything up front and then keep your fingers crossed that they'll actually reimburse you what you paid, if they decide to reimburse you at all.

If you decide to buy a new car in the future, buy the extended warranty right then and there so that it's integrated into your car payments and it's from the manufacturer.

7. TerryS

TerryS Agent

I also have a warranty from 1source. So far I've only made one claim with them. The dealer diagnosed and then called in for approval. A very painless process and everything was paid in full.

8. Bryan_K

Bryan_K Stunt Coordinator

Extended warranties= WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!! In the long run your better off paying out of pocket for repairs.

This not only prelcudes to cars.

Why do you think that the dealership tries so hard to get you to buy one. Anser.....Cause it makes them money.

9. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark

10. John_Berger

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

12. John_Berger