What's new

Extend the dumb question (1 Viewer)

Dan_Myers

Agent
OK, to extend the "dumb question" from below.
I currently do not have a DVD player. Well, I have one on my laptop that I have been using to watch movies with until I purchased a player.
I was intrigued by the post below and started doing a little research into using a computer as a DVD player. I currently have a Pentium Pro 200 with 96mb memory sitting on the shelf. Could I do something as simple as buying:
Creative Labs DXR2 DVD Decoder PCI card CT7220 for $19.00
and then a DVD ROM drive, say a Toshiba for around $60.00 and have a DVD player that will be equal to what I was planning on buying. JVC-XVS60?
At this time I do not have a HDTV so I don't need the progressive Scan of the JVC. I did however plan on upgrading to a HDTV so that is the reason I looked at the Progressive Scan. Is that part of the player or the software? I.E. how would I get my PC to play progressive Scan, or the best possible picture for when I moved up to an HDTV? Note: my current TV is a 27" Trinitron with only a composite jack on it. Upgrade to a HDTV is a year or so away. Would I want to look at something other then the DXR2?
I was thinking of these two:
32 MB Creative Labs Nvidia Pro TNT2
Aureal Vortex SQ1500 PCI sound card 3D
That would mean I would have to switch over to a pentium II 266 with 64mb memory to get the AGP slot, but I could do that since I use the machine mostly for email and browsing.
Anyway thanks for the info.
Thanks for the help?
------------------
- Dan

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Get the DXR3, not the DXR2. Or the Sigma Designs Hollywood +; same thing, different sticker. Then, yes, you've got a hardware DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks