Expos moving to Washington

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Lockwood, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

CBS News just said the Montreal Expos will be playing in RFK Stadium in DC starting next year.

Still waiting for this to be confirmed by a reliable news source.

No word on whether they'll keep the name Expos.

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Does this mean there are no longer any teams in Canada? Will the "World Series" be renamed the "US Series"?

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Did I miss when the Toronto Blue Jays are moving? [​IMG]

4. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

It was called the World Series long before there were teams in Canada.

5. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I still think the "World Series" should include countries other than Canada (like Japan, where baseball is arguably bigger in popularity than it is in the US right now)

6. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'd argue that in the United States, baseball is second among the major sports in popularity with the NFL being first, but the ratings for the baseball playoffs are higher than those of the NBA playoffs anymore.

7. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

It is official. Expos are coming for the '05 season. It was announced by the mayor at a 5:00 press conference and you can read all about at www.washingtonpost.com. They will play at RFK stadium at first until a stadium is built on the Anacostia river. Of course there are still some hurdles. City council still has to approve funding and has to do it before the end of the year since there are up to three new members who are on record against the deal. MLB still has to decide who will actually own the team. There is more then one group who wants to own it. No word on a name but there needs to be an owner first.

Peter Angelos had to be paid off with some sweetheart deals to ensure the value of the Orioles. The full details are not out but it involves TV revenue sharing and making sure that the value of the Orioles does not go below a certain amount. Pretty sweet deal when most experts believed that Angelos did not have a legal leg to stand on to stop the move but then again he made his millions taking people to court. With these guarantees, he does not even have to field a good team since his investment is safe.

The thing is, I like going to Camden Yards to see the Orioles but it is a real pain to get there. Weekday night games are out of the question due to the horrible traffic from DC to Baltimore. On weekends the commuter train between DC and Baltimore does not even run so mass transit is not an option and AMTRAK is not worth the trouble due to its schedule. Taking METRO to a game will be great. Glad that Virginia did not get it as getting out to the proposed site would have been just as much a nightmare as driving to Baltimore. It would have been about 10 years before METRO got out to the Dulles Airport area - assuming that it got funded.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

They must be really confident that the RICO case will be dismissed, since MLB is not allowed to sell or move the Expos until after the case that the limited partners have brought has been settled.

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I've explained it before and I will explain it again. MLB (Major League Baseball) is the highest league in which to play baseball in the world. Nobody ever quit the MLB to go play in Japan after being an All-Star in the Major Leagues. However, many players have quit MLB when they were role players or benchwarmers in order to go to Japan for more exposure. On the other hand, many players who were tops in their game in Japan have migrated to the MLB, with varied success. These are the Matsuis, the Ichiros and the Nomos of Japan, the elite of the elite. When you are the premier league of a sport and everyone who is the elite of the sport eventually garavitates toward your league, you have the right to call your championship "The World Series", period. Any other argument is petty, IMHO, unless you want to start calling the cricket World Cup the "Every Country Except Those That Suck at Cricket Championship". Inviting a Japanese, Korean or Cuban team to play in the WS final would be a moot point; frankly they would get slaughtered worse than the Olympic teams did against USA basketball (whoops!, bad example, but you get my point:b).

Besides, Toronto still has a baseball team (as anyone who really cares about the naming of the World Series, outside of petty arguments, should know).

10. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

Is somone going to take ownership of the team now?

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've done the DC - Baltimore thing many times at rush hour and I agree it's brutal. I commute to DC from Loudoun County every day, it's not bad at all, at least in HOV. (Even without HOV it's not that bad: GW Parkway to the beltway to the Toll Road) I would suspect that the vast majority of baseball game traffic would qualify as HOV on 66 and the Dulles Toll Road. The Metro project is already funded, or did you miss that news? It's being developed by the same private development company that built the Greenway (which means it will probably be expensive unfortunately). I think a team near Dulles would be just the kick in the ass that Metro needed to get a train built out there. I hope the deal falls through with DC and they move to Loudoun frankly.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I wonder if Daniel Snyder wants a Baseball team? He could very well be George Steinbrenners equal here. This is just what MLB needs! Then again the DC area doesn't need another overpaid underachieving team. [​IMG]

13. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Alright, let's name the team. How about the Washington Filibusters?

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

My favorite suggestion has been the "Washington Grays" after the Homestead Grays of the Negro Leagues. The guy who suggested the Comics amuses me, though.

15. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> They will play at RFK stadium at first until a stadium is built on the Anacostia river.

Is that site in DC?

I think they should revive the old Senators name if they aren't going to keep Expos. I like team names that are related to the city.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I think the Rangers still have the rights to the Senators name, though (or is it the Twins?).

17. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Jason,
    The Rangers have the rights to the Senators name which I think is dead wrong. However, I believe the rights to that name can be easily settled.

Crawdaddy

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Besides, it would make that old "Name the five major sports team that share the same nickname" trivia question add up to five again. Used to be Jets, Oilers, Cardinals, Giants, Rangers. Now it would be Cardinals, Giants, Rangers, Panthers, Senators.

19. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> The Rangers have the rights to the Senators name

Wouldn't they sell them for the right price? A few million up front and maybe a small percentage of the royalties from merchandise...

Or does KC have the rights to all royalties?

> "Name the five major sports team that share the same nickname"

Depending on how picky you are on spelling and shortening (which a nickname is), there are the football Bucs and baseball Bucks (and the Pirates get called the Bucs, too).

20. Chris Atkins

Chris Atkins Producer

I hope they call them the Washington Senators. Just seems like the right thing to do.