Explorers: Se?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty Lockstead, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

What can I say? It's a childhood favourite. A while back, I recorded it off my local Space channel, and was happily surprised to see extra footage. Obviously one of those t.v. only versions only I assume. Similar to the extra footage in Aliens before Fox released the special ed. on dvd in 1999. Even if it doen't have the extra scenes, I would be ecstatic to see this personal classic with an anamorphic transfer since I've never seen it widescreen except when I saw it theatrically back in 1985. Wishful thinking would prevail if Paramount would go the extra mile and possibly put a commentary track on it and/or at least an all new featurette with recent interviews of the cast and crew. Am I alone out there about this?
    [​IMG]

2. Peter Avellino

Funny, there was just a midnight showing of Explorers in LA, with star Jason Presson in person. I've never fully figured out the reasoning behind the two different versions, they're so similar it barely seems worth the trouble. Explorers wasn't a box office hit and surprisingly doesn't have much of a following these days. But I'd buy a DVD with Joe Dante commentary.

3. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I would definitely buy an Explorers DVD. If the "special video version" is indeed Joe Dante's director's cut, so be it, but it would be nice to see the footage that was excised after the theatrical run included in a deleted scenes section. As funny as this sounds, this really seems to have been a personal film for Dante, so I'd love to see his involvement. Also, I believe the OAR was 2.35:1, so the pan-&-scan version is heavily cropped. A widescreen version would be great.

The way Paramount has been improving lately, I would imagine they'd treat this fairly well. I know Warner is working on SEs of both Gremlins movies, so maybe Dante would be up for this as well.

I guess we'll see.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Didn't someone see a high definition master for the DC on one of the HTF tours?

5. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I'd love to see this on DVD too (in its OAR of course)

6. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

This is also one of my favs. Put me down for a would buy as well.

7. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

EXPLORERS' OAR is 1.85:1. I attended the midnight show at the Nuart in L.A. last Friday and it was not in scope. (Joe Dante never made a scope film until SMALL SOLDIERS, which was Super 35, anyway, unless you count the SHOOK UP SHOPPING CART scenes in MATINEE.)
    It was interesting to see the two scenes cut by Dante from the video release (weren't they still included on the cable version of the film?) and have to agree that they didn't serve much purpose and slowed the film down somewhat. What would be an absolutely perfect supplement for the eventual DVD release would be to include the cut scenes that detail the backstory of Dick Miller's character. In the finished film, it's implied that his character once had a similar contact with the aliens, but the original script supposedly had more (and besides, more Dick Miller is always welcome!).
    I'm told by those who know that Dante is actually disappointed with how EXPLORERS turned out, but if he sat down for a HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD commentary (which he practically disowns, despite the fact that it's one of the very best New World films), it sure would be nice to hear his comments on this one.

8. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

9. paul o'donnell

paul o'donnell Second Unit

I'd certainly buy a copy.

10. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

11. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I'd give my pinky toe (or the pinky toe of a suitable nihilist stand-in) to get this one on DVD.

12. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Video and cable-TV versions are re-edited by director Joe Dante and are two minutes shorter than the original theatrical release. The missing scene from the video release has Ben and Wolfgang walking to school, where been shows Wolfgang the circuit diagram that he dreamed the night before and Wolfgang offers to input the diagram into his Apple computer. Then they talk about school bully Steve Jackson, when Ben comments that "Steve Jackson has elephantitis of the ego!", which is what he is punched out for by Jackson in another scene. The music on the soundtrack album called "Sticks And Stones" is about two minutes and this is the music which accompanies the missing scene.

The shorter version released on home video as "A special home video version of Explorers," actually contains a scene which does not appear in some theatrical versions. In this scene, Ben falls asleep in class and finds himself in a dream where all his classmates have disappeared. With his glowing gift from his alien friends in hand, he rises out of his seat to find the "Thunder Road" in the corner of the classroom looking brand new. (It had fallen into the lake while returning home after their visit with the aliens.) Ben then finds himself flying with Wolfgang, Darren and Lori.

The original cinematic release includes another small scene cut from the movie. After Ben, Wolfgang and Darren have decided the Tilt-a-Whirl they found in the junkyard is an appropriate shell for their "spacecraft." The scene that follows it has the boys pushing the Tilt-a-Whirl to the top of a hill and chasing after it frantically as it rolls down the other side. It rolls off of the street and lands in the ditch that runs along the Mueller's property. The movie resumes with the boys pushing it farther along down the ditch until it comes to rest near the Mueller's house

I'd buy this ASAP.

Commentary from Joe Dante, Dick Miller, Jason Presson and Ethan Hawke.

13. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

I'd definitely pick this one up as well. Fun little movie.

14. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

put me down as a buyer of this[​IMG]

15. Bill Crosthwait

Bill Crosthwait Second Unit

Put me down for one too.