Exploreres DVD? Is this a director's cut?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by rob kilbride, Jan 23, 2005.

1. rob kilbride

rob kilbride Supporting Actor

Rob Kilbride
    It says on the box that it has been modified from the theatrical version, that some scenes have been added or deleted from the original film. Is this a director's cut or did someone else have it cut for some other reason?

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

It has been modified like that since it first hit VHS. I think the story was it was rushed for theatrical release and Dante wanted to re-edit something.

3. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure the deleted scenes included as a supplement on the DVD are the scenes that Joe Dante removed from the theatrical cut for this "director's cut".

Vincent

4. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

Can anyone tell me if its worth buying because I have only seen bits and pieces of this movie.

5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

I think it's a personal decision on whether or not something is worth buying. Some folks will tell you "yes" and others "no", in the end you should maybe rent the movie yourself and see if you want to own it.

Vincent

6. Paul Sandhu

Paul Sandhu Supporting Actor

Perhaps someone can compare this to Goonies or Stand By Me. I know they are three different movies but in terms of story and presentation is Explorers better or worse and if so, by how much?

7. Hector.B

Hector.B Stunt Coordinator

I know I felt sad at the end of the film because I did not want it to end. I wish I could just fly away with Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix.
    If you remember this from your childhood it will definitely bring back memories. I too had never seen the film in its entirety but now that I have I feel complete. [​IMG]

I wonder if anyone has ever written a sequel.

8. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I didn't find out about the problems that plagued this movie until just recently. Supposedly, the studio forced Dante to quit shooting. I'm not sure what the reasoning was. Anyway, I always just accepted it when I was younger, but now when I watch it, the end does seem a bit abrupt. I remember reading last summer, just after Jerry Goldsmith had passed away, that Dante credited him with "saving an unfinished movie."

At any rate, I still love the movie, though mostly for nostalgic reasons. However, there is a healthy dose of Dante's trademark wit, particularly in the fake drive-in movie, "Starkiller." Even if you don't like the rest of the movie, that sequence alone almost makes it worth at least a rental.

Robert Picardo picking up the piece of the set that's just fallen down cracks me up every time.

Also:
    "Do they take their clothes off?"
    "Yeah, but she has three navels."

As for a purchase, it can be found most places for around $10. If you like The Goonies and its ilk, I'm sure you'd at least be entertained by Explorers.

I kind of wish they would have included both the theatrical and revised editions on the DVD. It would have been very easy to with seamless branching as I think there was only one short scene added, as well as the two that were dropped. At least they included those as special features, though.

9. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

I've never really understood why Dante bothered re-cutting the movie. The scenes he took out were actually good ones, the ending was barely changed.

I like EXPLORERS and Goldsmith's score is fantastic, but the last third of the movie is insipid. The movie is a wonderful childhood fantasy but it all falls apart when they get into space, like a shaggy dog joke.

The movie needed re-shooting -- like changing the entire resolution -- but apparently Paramount needed a summer movie and Dante could only make minor changes instead of major ones.

Still worth seeing, though. The TV version, BTW, *is* the theatrical version, with those two scenes back in the film.

10. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

I believe Best Buy has it on sale this week for $7.49. I think I will pick up a copy, since I think the only time I saw it was in the theaters way back when....

11. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

For what its worth, I loved this movie as a kid. Seeing it as an adult, I have mixed emotions.

The first 2/3rds of the movie is great. Without ruining too much of the movie, once they make it to where they are going, it just gets silly. There is a music/dance scene for no reason, some really bad jokes, and the movie just seems to fall apart.

As for comparing it to Goonies or Stand By Me, I think both those movies are far superior films and are much better at protraying the innocence of being an adolescant boy and what it means to "Explore".

Considering how cheap you can get this movie (Best Buy has it on sale for $7.50 this week), I really dont think you can go wrong, because like I said, this movie starts out as a very creative and well put together film.

Perhaps its the problems in shooting that caused the last third to fall flat on its face, I dunno, but to me, there are better films than this.

12. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

I don't know if anyone realized this but the THEATRICAl version was run on HDNet in mid 2004.

Another alteration that wasn't included was the joke Wak tells at the very end before the credits.