What's new

Explorer.exe Error (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I've been getting this very annoying error in Windows XP and I am hoping someone can tell me how to get rid of it.

QUITE often, I keep getting this dialog box error: Explorer.EXE There is no disc in drive x: (X which be my floppy, CD drive, it changes. Then It gives me a Cancel, continue, or retry button. The system is looking for a disc in a drive I'm not even using at the time. Last night I was playing Starcraft and the message kept bumping me out asking for a disc in the A: drive. Very annoying. Has this happened to anyone else? How can it be fixed?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
hmm, that can be the result when you install drivers for a piece of hardware off a floppy disk and windows for some odd reason doesn't copy the file over to the root/system folder. then when it tries to access the driver it has problems as the disk is no longer in there.

The only other reasoning I can put forth, is that you might have a background program that is looking for files off of your external media, this too would yield a similar error.

for the first hypothesis, their is two ways to try and fix it, the good way and the Duck tape it way. the good way is to delete your windows folder and reinstall windows from scratch, this will redo all of your drivers from scratch. The duck tape way is to go into your device manager and uninstall everything there so that the next time windows reboots it will have to reinstall all the hardware. The good way will of course make you have to reset up windows and the duck tape way will do a better job of killing your system stability, but both methods will work if it is indeed a driver issue.

to see if it's a background application, open up the task manager and try and close everything you can in it. Windows XP will prevent you from closing critical programs, worse come to worse a restart will reopen any closed programs that shouldn't have been closed, so no danger in it. after you close all the background apps, try and do whatever you can to get the error to pop back up, if you can't get it to come back up, start looking through the programs that you closed and (will take a while) close tehm one at a time trying to get the error until hopefullly you find the perpetrator and you can uninstall the program completly.

sorry for the length but hopefully the answer you need is in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks